The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My vr4 giving new owner issues

James

Well the guy made it 2 days I think before something broke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif here's the video of the noise it's making and here's some notes...

Happens clutch in or out
Coming from trans area
Happens in or out of boost

click

4orced4door

That sounds crazy, did he break an axle or fry the clutch?

James

He said if he was deaf he would never know something happened. It drives like normal... Just the noise. So I don't think it's the clutch.

I told him to check the driveshaft and the axles. I suggest possible TOB is shot an he said maybe wheel bearing shot.

LIV4PSI

Throw out bearing sounds more likely to me, than axles or the driveshaft

mitsuturbo

Sounds like stripped input splines in the transfer case. I've seen this a couple times myself.

fuel

if that were the case then the center diff would send most power to the front and it would feel like it has a slipping clutch - this is assuming that the VCU isn't locked of course.

CutlassJim

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Sounds like stripped input splines in the transfer case. I've seen this a couple times myself.

Since it happens with the clutch in or out I am voting stripped splines on the clutch disk.

James

Lots of things to check out. He said he joined up on here but hasn't had a chance to post yet.

James

We settled on wheel bearing. The rear passenger wheel. So he took it to a local shop and they said the same

James

Replaced the wheel bearing and the noise is still there.

James

Sweet glad to see you got on here.

So the problem is still the same. Terrible noise from the video. Clutch in or clutch out. Only when the car is moving.

LIV4PSI

Take it back to the shop that said it was the wheel bearing. After making you waste money, the least they could do is diagnose it properly

donniekak

Quoting SynHaven:
Hey guys, I am the new owner

Get the car on a lift, or 4 good jack stands, get it to make the noise, and start searching with a stethoscope.

SynHaven

I could take it back to the shop, but honestly im just frustrated. No one including my self has any idea whats making this mystery noise. Tranny and clutch feel fine, and pressing in the clutch or shifting does nothing. stepping on the brakes does nothing. turning does nothing. and the rear diff has oil and its clean. we also didnt notice anything wrong with the rear axles while we were under the car. im just annoyed.

James

Turns out the TC has no fluid in it. How would this happen? How long can the TC go with no fluid (and not making any noise).

I replaced the fluids before my vacation about 6 months ago. I took the car on a 2000 mile trip. I've put about 4000 miles on the car since then. And I drove the car two hours to Syn with no weird noises or problems.

I have no weird leaks on my driveway that should TC leakage and he has none on his.

Anyone have any ideas? Adding fluid to the TC cured the problem though he says it's still make a weird noise... Probably due to it being driven dry.

fuel

I bet the front driveshaft yoke has sprung a leak from the frost plug inside. It should have been covered by a recall and the recall kit fitted is a new yoke with a completely sealed up end - ie no possibility of leaking through a frost plug. Either that or the TC output shaft seal is bad or you have a leak from the drain plug. Check for obvious oil leaks around the TC area. I would not continue to drive it any longer as you risk having the TC simply locking up which would make the car uncontrollable.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting James:
Turns out the TC has no fluid in it. How would this happen? How long can the TC go with no fluid (and not making any noise).

I replaced the fluids before my vacation about 6 months ago. I took the car on a 2000 mile trip. I've put about 4000 miles on the car since then. And I drove the car two hours to Syn with no weird noises or problems.

I have no weird leaks on my driveway that should TC leakage and he has none on his.

Anyone have any ideas? Adding fluid to the TC cured the problem though he says it's still make a weird noise... Probably due to it being driven dry.

If the noises are still coming from the transfer case as shown in the video, you 100% have some bearing damage. No bearing can be run dry for any length of time and survive. Best to pull the parts and inspect, or replace the TC. If the car did not exhibit these noises when you owned it, you didn't know about the issue, nor could you have. Not a super costly repair, just an unfortunate circumstance to come about in the timeline of the vehicles life.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned