The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my vr-4. The pikes peak one. story and build *Pics Added!*

number3

Tiring but rewarding.

Ben

I need to post some more recent pics. Then you can see just how close i am! One good work session and its ready. Just waiting on the final parts to arrive.

Definitely on the pic update. This is one interesting vr4. Lots of work put into this one.

Ben

Anyone interested in replacing a power steering pump that is driven by the flywheel on a v10 diesel touareg? The snout of it drives the snout of the a/c compressor. haha. That's the first time that engine table has ever been used.

got a lot going on with my oil filter housing.

I wasn't intending on both tials being in the pic, but it looks kinda cool

Some pics of my shop

I havn't really looked at those pics, so we'll see if I left anything embarrassing out. haha

Ben

I got all the fuel feed lines made and mounted the fuel pumps. All fittings but one should be here today. Once they get here, the feed will be finished after I wire the fuel pumps. One last fitting will be here tomorrow to finish the return side. I should have the return lines made today when the hose gets here. Then I have to wire my wideband output to my ecm. I'm going to have dsmlink simiulate a narrowband signal to make the ecm happy. Then I need to wire up my cooling fan.

Ben

Enough fittings finally arrived yesterday to get one of the fuel pumps plumbed in. I attemped to start it with little luck. It ran(very poorly) for a few minutes. Off to the link forums!!

Ben

I drove it home from my shop today for the first time!!! Got it running alright for now. I'm so excited. I need to get new pics up of it with the stickers removed and lexan buffed.

Ben

So I lifted my head on the dyno which I talked about in another thread. I didn't know the head had to be machined by a special machine that gets the head surface super smooth. I got a loaded bottom end and head from Class One in the Chicago area. SUPER place to deal with. Terry was SO very helpful. If you don't know, they build engines for Mike Reichen and Yusuf Begic. Both have very cool white Evo 2s and both kinda fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
This past sunday I ordered new head studs, head gasket, tbelt and many other misc gaskets to get the engine together and put it back in the car. So hopefully I'll be driving it again before too long.

Ben

Got most of my gaskets and fluids in this week. I plan to have the bottom end on the engine stand tonight and maybe a completed long block tomorrow night. I had my ccenter diff welded today and ordered a VCE from shep.

Quoting Ben:
I put the manifold and turbo on. And found out why people clock the compressor housing in a different direction. haha.
I'm thinking about builing a tubular front end. Get rid of the lower core supper and front cross member and fab something to go in it's place to mount the IC, radiator, front motor mount and front bumper.

We'll see. In the mean time, I need to build my fuel cell mounts.

I wish I could find some pics of Wes Hess's red race car. I didn't think of taking pics of his tubular nose when my buddy had that car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I never thought I'd need to build something like that.

I wish I had the time/ability to do what that white one is doing!!! That's awesome!!

If you are still interested I have pics of Wess Hess' 1g, badass car. I can email them to you if you want. I would just post them up but they are large files bigger than the uploader allows, and this site keeps giving me errors and Linux code bs anyway so that would take forever.

Cool car you have there. I have ecmtuning v3 lite speed density and it was one of the best mods I have done. For the money, nothing else comes close. All other management systems that have the same capabilities are exponentially more money, not to mention more complex.

Ben

I was able to fit everything in the nose wihtout having to do any major modifications. I have a new radiator though that I can't wait to get it mounted with some pics!!

DR1665

Looking good, Ben. Love the color scheme for the new engine.

Make sure to let us know what you think about the welded diff. It's never far from my mind...

Ben

I actually planned none of that. I had the red valve cover from the last engine and I just painted a few things on the front of the engine black when I put it together the first time. I had no idea what color the block was going to be and it just happen to be pretty close.
I can't wait to launch this thing with the welded diff, but I have nothing to compare to. The last engine only let me have 300 miles of fun and I never launched it. Also I dont think I'll be putting e85 in it for a while.

Ben

I now have a welded center diff and waiting on my VCE from shep. Will be here Tuesday.
I have a new bottom end and an assembled head from Class One. I talked to Terry at Class One and told him my goals and what I'm going to do with the car. He worked his magic, sent me a bill and here it is. He said this setup should will work for me unless I decide I'm going to shoot for 1000-1100 HP and I'm far from it.
I never ran that GM maf. Just straight to speed density with the sensors that ecmtuning sells.
Ford racing 1600cc injectors.

I need to get an ignition amplifier.
I need to get some suspension other than stock eclipse suspension.
I have to mount my new radiator and get a SPAL pusher mounted and wired in.

I want to have 3 tunes when I get this thing tuned. I want a 90 oct tune, an e85 tune around 600 whp, then one that goes all out and back off a notch. I will run around on the 600 hp tune after a little break in period.
I have a little goal in my head to make a 10 sec pass on 90 oct. I think I'm there with these QTP and a good launch.

DR1665

Crazy. I've been thinking I'm pretty close to getting my tractor back on (or off) the road again for a few weeks, but looking at your pictures, I realize I still need to do the oil cooler lines and find a replacement timing belt cover at a minimum. I also need to replace the cams and re-work the wire harness.

It's amazing how far away we really are once it starts feeling like we're getting close, ya know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned