The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

88 vr4 front jack point and remove sump cover

Hi all,
Q.1
was wondering where to place a trolly jack to lift the front wheels off the ground. also would like a rear jack point location, I have the diff to lift both wheels of the ground.

Q.2

Can the sump cover be removed without removal of engine was as i have some rust on the sump cover.

any help would be good

Cheers

Ivan

atc250r

Staff member
I usually place the jack on the bar that goes across the front end just behind the radiator. In the back I put the jack under the rear diff. By sump cover I assume you mean oil pan? If so, yes it can be removed without taking the engine out.

John

thanks John re jack point

and yes i do mean oilpan with referance to sump cover and would i be removing the transfer case to do this.

and can a noobie like me do it without damage to the oil seal

atc250r

Staff member
Yes the t-case has to come off. I believe it has 5 17mm bolts holding it in and as long as your careful you won't damage anything.

John

thanks again john its going to be a big job soon. teach me not to buy a jspec car again they salt the roads there.

atleast I only paid $750 bucks for it and it goes fast

atc250r

Staff member
Odd. Most of the metal bits of the JDM parts I've seen were in relatively rust free condition. Its really not a big job at all. A couple of hours tops. If fact, I think that if you unbolt the carrier part of the two piece axle from the block, you might be able to slip the pan out easily without taking the whole axle out.

John

You can do it without taking out the axle. I cant remember exactly but you might have to remove the driver side cross-member just for ease of re-installing. Its only got 4-5 bolts in it.

Rausch

^ Yes. that bracket has to come out to get decent clearance.

fivestardsm

+1^^

The only time you can do a pan with out removing the axle, is when you have a one-piece drivers side axle such as in the FWD non-turbos, and the really early turbo FWD's.

Although, removing it no matter what, will ease the process!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned