The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My car in all its glory. Is this savable? (Rust)

Vr4Ape35

1930/2000

So far I’ve just replaced the radiator fan and repaired some wires to keep it from overheating. Car runs and drives. Right now I have to remount the power steering pump which the previous owner left in the back seat, find a reservoir, and probably replace the steering rack. No rear steering to deal with, was deleted at some point.

Took off the trim that was held on with some self tapping screws and got better pictures of the rocker situation and all the rust. Looks like someone tried the old expanding foam “repair.” The metal where the subframes mount are solid luckily.

I’m trying to figure out what the future holds for this project. Can she come back from all this rust without going bankrupt? I’ve never done any fabricating but I know some welders who could possibly help if I had the parts. I could sell it to someone who could do it justice or just run it as is and try not to think about it…

What would you do in this situation?

IMG_8755.jpeg

IMG_8756.jpeg

IMG_8757.jpeg

IMG_8758.jpeg

IMG_8759.jpeg

IMG_8760.jpeg

IMG_8761.jpeg

IMG_8762.jpeg

IMG_8763.jpeg

IMG_8764.jpeg

IMG_8665.jpeg

turbofonz

That... that is about the worst I've seen. I'd take a look at the rear subframe mounting area, and fuel tank mounts, along with front subframe mounting area and wheel wells to see if there's anything structural. I don't think there's much saving that car, at all.

I got a car sitting here that's MUCH better, but still absolutely terrible and undrivable because of the rust.

BeerySquash

Holyyyyyy, that's definitely the worst I've seen. It would be nice to save it, but you're looking at a serious amount of work.

Vr4Ape35

That's horrible! Was this the one for sale in CT for $6k
Yes it was. Knew the rockers were rotted but definitely a lot more work than I was expecting. This car has seen a lot of hands. Drivetrain is good though. Didn’t pay 6 but prob still overpaid a good bit at 4 unfortunately. Wanted a gvr4 badly and took a leap, lesson learned.

Vr4Ape35

That... that is about the worst I've seen. I'd take a look at the rear subframe mounting area, and fuel tank mounts, along with front subframe mounting area and wheel wells to see if there's anything structural. I don't think there's much saving that car, at all.

I got a car sitting here that's MUCH better, but still absolutely terrible and undrivable because of the rust.
If you’re ever looking to sell shoot me a message. Looks like I may be needing a new body lol

Syclone#334

Yes it was. Knew the rockers were rotted but definitely a lot more work than I was expecting. This car has seen a lot of hands. Drivetrain is good though. Didn’t pay 6 but prob still overpaid a good bit at 4 unfortunately. Wanted a gvr4 badly and took a leap, lesson learned.
Where in NY are you?

turbomister2

If you’re ever looking to sell shoot me a message. Looks like I may be needing a new body lol
It has to be a Mitsubishi miracle if fonz sells you one of his cars 😂 but miracles do exist because I was able to get mine from him 😂😂

turbofonz

No, I mean mine is really bad too lol, but a better rusty shitbox then that car atleast. The gastank is held up with a ratchet strap and the rear subframe mount is pretty bad

miller

Given the prices I see the USDM Galants selling for, versus the cost of a JDM 6G VR4 import then thats the reason for using the word 'cheap'. Should have used the word 'cheaper' instead.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned