The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

muffler suggestions?

raptorWagon

I wanted to see just how "straight through" my muffler was when it arrived, looked in the inlet and could see my floor out the other end perfectly. That's straight enough for me. I wasn't a fan of the "Coffee Cans", or angled exhaust, those stand out too much imo.

524of1000

I picked it up cause it was a 3" mandrel bent catback for less than what my local muffler shop was gonna charge for a crush bent. I wanted a dual tip, but we'll see how this goes for now.

Im having really bad boost creep issues and I have a dump. So I need some type of restriction.

524of1000

+1 for wastegate. Do you have an internal gate? Cause we could port it out to 34mm. I have an extra flapper to do so if need be. OR you could REALLY fix it with an external wastegate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Its internal. Porting it is probably a good idea, thats next on the list after muffler. Once I move.

ApexHunter

Quoting crankwalk:
Dont get a chambered muffler on a turbo car.

^+1. There is a reason all the major manufacturers use straight through design mufflers in their cat back systems for turbo applications....for example, the A'Pexi World Sport line. For NA apps, you got a chambered muffler, and for Turbo apps, straight through. On NA cars the chambered design helps to increase the low and mid-range power. On turbo cars, the less restriction the better.

I'm personally using a magnaflow oval, straight through design. Sounds great.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting chicagoboostin:
Its internal. Porting it is probably a good idea, thats next on the list after muffler. Once I move.

Skip the chambered muffler. Port the turbine housing first and then get a good straight-through design muffler.

4thStroke

Heres a clip of a solo run at the track click

3" inline Magnaflow and 3" in 3" out Magnaflow out the ack with a twin 2.5" tip welded on. The shop did a great job to get everything tucked away with only the tips being visible.

Last edited:

TurboTrader

+1 and +2 on the Magnaflow straight through. They sound awesome. Though mine is 2.5" in and dual 2" out, I plan to stick with Magnaflow when I go 3"

turbowop

My Magnaflow is 3" in and dual 2.25" or 2.5" out. I can't remember which. The oval shape of the muffler helps to tuck it under the car better, which looks much cleaner from the side since you can't see it hanging down.

944a90561cbf04f.jpg

If I had a bit more cash I would of purchased that same Magnaflow. So went with the vibrant 1149 black dual tip instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned