The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Muffler to quiet down, but still high flowing

spoulson

I'm sure this topic comes up too much. But, I had an idea. I currently have a 3" certified turbo-back system with 3" magnaflow cat and muffler. It's not horribly loud during mild driving, but I would like to quiet it down a bunch without losing too much performance with an evo3 16G.

I was thinking of recycling the 3" straight-through muffler as a resonator and put on a new muffler with 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet. I found two Dynomax mufflers (1, 2) that look interesting. I want stainless for durability and looks.

Any suggestions? Also, I haven't found any decent sources for exhaust tips. I like the 4" double-wall tip I have now, so it would be nice to have two smaller versions for a dual outlet. It looks a lot like this.

GreenGSX

I just put two Summitracing resonators in a custom 3" exhaust that has no cat and a Magnaflow muffler. I used a 18" and a 12" and it sounds great and I can actually have a conversation in the car now. they are a strait through design so they don't kill the flow. Price is cheap too.

click

boostx

I had the 18" oval Magnaflow muffler with my 3" DP and it was quite.

jepherz

Staff member
I have a magnaflow cat, 14" resonator, and muffler on a 3" exhaust. I don't daily drive the car, but I think the resonator helps A LOT.

spoulson

I think quiet is pretty subjective. Let's put it this way. I don't want to feel like I'm waking up all the neighbors when I leave for work.

I previously owned a 2G with 2.5" HKS Hiper exhaust. It had a resonator and straight-through round muffler and it's just as noisy as what I have now. I'm thinking a resonator alone isn't going to get what I'm looking for.

I've heard from a few accounts that switching to a dual-outlet muffler helps a lot more. Having a dual outlet and a resonator would be even better, especially if I used a straight-through muffler as a resonator.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

A catalytic converter and a resonator will help quiet it down a lot. No need to change the muffler to a twin tip one.

Lonewolf64

I used a dynomax bullet straight through muffler as a resonator, a 3inch turboback, and a 3inch inlet, 2 x 2.5 inch outlets borla turbo XL muffer. It sounds really nice and the volume is reasonable for a 3inch catless turboback.

mitsuturbo

My exhaust is pretty old. The prior owner put it on some 12 years ago, i think. So.. since it was in SLC, the muffler is all rusted out. (and it is only 2.5" to the flex) I just got a shiny new 3" ebay downpipe, a 3" cat which will rarely be on the car, and an xlerator muffler almost EXACTLY like the one in the post above me. I also ordered a dynomax bullet muffler which will be my "test pipe". Should wind up being pretty quiet. If it's not quiet enough, i'll just get another bullet muffler. A buddy of mine did this, and his Laser had a VERY nice low quiet tone.

DarkDevilMMM

I have the same exact one you mentioned up there as muffler #1 . It's kinda loud and my parents can hear me when I was a block away when I am visiting them. I also think too much droning on the freeway.

turbophein

i say magnaflow with a resonator, i had a few and heard lots of different 3" exhausts and this is by far the quietest i have heard. its just not that loud at all, but and a big but... it has a deeeep tone. its funny, my car at idle outside is fairly quiet, but as soon as i get in the house it just multiplies in deepness. its like a subwoofer, its hard to explain... cops don't ever look at me, so...

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting turbophein:
cops don't ever look at me

Cops don't really bother our cars no mater how loud the exhaust is. My exhaust is fairly loud (CM Peformance 3" catless turb back with the twin tip muffler) and I never get harassed by the cops.

mitsuturbo

As far as cops bothering people for exhaust, i've seen more people stopped simply because they have some shiny melon shooter with a 5" tip than for noise. It seems they look more than they listen, when targeting for exhaust tickets.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Right on. As long as you keep the tip the same size as the rest of the exhaust it won't stand out much. I never understood the idea of putting a 5" tip on a 2.5" muffler/exhaust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Painting it black or not cleaning it will also help.

Lonewolf64

I don't understand the big single tips that people put on vr4s. These cars beg for a twin tip "stealth" looking exhaust.

gvr4ever

The big tip came on the mufugas exhaust. I never liked it. I'll have to do a turbo muffler w/duel out at some point.

I have 2 resonators and a magnaflow twin-tip on my car. The resonators are different sizes, one is fairly small, the other is like a small cannon muffler. Before I got the magnaflow I basically had an open pipe (ebay muffler ), and the car was reasonably loud when accelerating. The magnaflow actually made the car slightly louder at idle, which is annoying in traffic and worrying around the police, but other than that the car is fairly quiet. Even at full noise I suspect the majority of the sound the car makes comes from the front of the car.

You can definitely talk with the windows down, up, etc, and hear the stereo at a reasonably quiet volume.

I think with another, appropriately sized and placed resonator to kill the drone at idle, the car would be perfect.

click

Luke

I have 3" certified muffler, which comes with dual tips thermal R&D muffler.

I added two resonators, 24" and 12", which are of straight-through perforated-type from RRE.
I also use a 3" catalytic converter. So, basically 1 muffler, 3 feet worth of resonators, and a cat. You can bet it is quiet.

Last edited:

CP

High flow 2.5" cat and a Dynomax Ultraflow here...no resonators. I think a 2.5" system goes a long way for sound suppression compared to a 3".

Luke

I definitely agree with you Cy. I had a 2.5" exhaust before I move "up" to the 3" exhaust from certified. The 2.5" exhaust is much quieter even though I used less resonators on the 2.5.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned