The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MLS Headgaskets - Reviews/Discussion

DynastyLCD

im thinking of taking a different route than usual. and by that, i surely do not mean a single layer gasket. in the past, ive religiously used mitsu 4-layer gaskets and regular ARP studs. however, the 2.3 i have is .030 over, so thats no longer an option. im also looking into a new one for my stock bottom end, as the 4-layer mitsu i had is failing me, im pretty sure. the head was freshly planed, the block was cleaned then polished with a cookie wheel, and then checked for straightness, however im getting the soda bubbles and a slight buildup of carbon in my coolant. this is not to say that every mitsu 4-layer is a bad gasket, as ive done a good few engines that utilize them without issues what so ever.

the factory bottom end will see around 30 psi, mostly pump 93, no nitrous/meth, and the 2.3 will see up to 40 psi, both pump 93 and race fuel, and possibly nitrous or meth as well, so ideas for both are also helpful.

im looking into:
Cometic 1.6mm
Felpro Perma-Torque
Power Enterprise 1.5mm
HKS 1.6mm

i know plenty of people who run cometic's on different applications than DSM's with great luck. thats their first selling point that made me think about running one. the price is right too, however you do get what you pay for - that scares me a little. the felpro, power enterprise, and HKS are all 200 dollar plus headgaskets. thats expensive, but am i getting what i paid for?

im looking for people's expieriences with the above, and the Mitsu 4-layer as well. preferences, reviews, anything you can give me is much appreciated!

bazeng

Hks 1.6mm gasket (1st build)
The car made 290 kw / 390ho at the front wheels on pump fuel (24psi). We pulled the motor because of poor assembly and clearances.
The gasket is still in good condition.

Tomei 1.8mm gasket (2nd build)
The car made 330kw / 442hp at the wheels on pump fuel (30psi) and 410kw / 550hp with C16 (36psi)..
The engine failed with a cracked cylinder wall (sleeved).

The gasket was fine and should still be reusable.

Cometic 1.6mm gasket) (3rd build)
This is in the current motor and so far so good. 24psi with 350kw / 470hp at the wheels on pump fuel. We will be pushing it this weekend before we race it next week.

That's all the feedback I can give you.

My opinion is that any quality gasket is going to be fine. Any problems you have are much more likely to be caused by you than by a head gasket. I've built a lot of motors and used a lot of gaskets. It really all comes down to the guy doing the assembling, tuning and driving.

talontyme

I made 447 on a stock mitsu composite gasket with a great tune @25psi.As far as a new gasket go's cometic is hit or miss i have heard some horror stories,lucky for me I can still use a 4 layer mitsu(tried and true)as for you imo I would go will either the HKS or the felpro do some searching I have seen them both for under $200

DynastyLCD

this is all great input, thanks guys.

Quoting TrendSetter:
My opinion is that any quality gasket is going to be fine. Any problems you have are much more likely to be caused by you than by a head gasket. I've built a lot of motors and used a lot of gaskets. It really all comes down to the guy doing the assembling, tuning and driving.

i think my problem was that i used a 4-layer that had been torqued down before, however not run. 90% sure thats why im having the issue i did. the only other thing i didnt do is plane the block, however it checked out fine for straightness, and before i tore it apart, had no issues with the headgasket originally on the engine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned