The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need Some serious motor building discussion

Nartanian

Wow this is kinda what I had in mind. So basically the best street set up would be stock rebuild with a b16g and run E85? Of course with all supporting mods and maintenance. I was leaning more towards a 50 Trim... but wow 400whp on a 16g is amazing!

charmcity

Quoting Terry Posten:
It all depends on how you drive it.

You go balls to the wall off every light and thrash it down the track every weekend, then NO.

But you drive it with care and keep up with the maint, then yes.

But with high CR, you wont be able to run pump gas much above 15psi.

I have an 8:1 setup and I can run 24psi on the street (at night) on 93.

Really, I was told that with a good tune 93 would be enough, but 15psi on my holset wont get me to 400whp. I was hoping that with the fully built motor I would be able to have a more stout longer lasting motor.

Terry Posten

Knock is not cured by motor internals. Knock is caused by heat. But knock is what kills motors.

In order to run higher boost you need to have a large IC and low comp pistons if your going to run straight 93. You can hold knock off by using meth injection, high octane gas, and such.

You may get more than 17 psi with 9:1+ on pump if it is a cool night but not at 90deg heat.

Or tune with a low static Timing value. Like clamped at 15*Degrees, then turn the boost up to make up for the timing.

Like the analogy "Fast, cheap, reliable, pick two." Tuning has its own analogy.

"Timing, compression, boost, pick two."

And on Topic, Engine life has little to do with the internals, and more on your tune.

The 4g63 is special, we all know that. They can make 500hp stock.

But just the same, as making 500hp stock, you can rip down a built engine in two seconds, let alone 50k with a bad tune.

Stock engine (Or EVO III internals or W/E), with a perfect tune, will net your goal.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned