The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tre stage 3 or 4

citymunky

EMX5636

Cool, TMZ started selling the Liberty stuff back in October.

Also, Kibby, as much I love and praise the Liberty stuff, I think you're shooting for a power goal past what I would recommend for them. If money really is no object, and you're set on banging gears, get a straight-cut gearset from Magnus or Shep/etc and install them yourself.

Last edited:

Kibby

Quoting citymunky:
Did you try TMZ? click

Backed up til October

Kibby

So i thought about it for a few days. I figure ill be fine with ~450hp im sure the transmission will last longer than 600hp. If i decide the need to push it ill set money aside for a dogbox.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Not to be pedantic, but when we are all talking about the capacity that transmissions were designed to handle, we should all be talking about torque figures correct?

Kibby, I don't envy having to spend the kind of money you are looking at spending. Gosh knows how long it took me to get around to getting a somewhat built transmission, or better than a standard rebuild.

The only solace we get is knowing that in theory the parts we will be using, as "designed" to handle the punishment we want to throw at them; but driving will also help determine the lifespan of said parts too.

Kibby

True. But then maybe the transmission sites should be posting tq limits instead of "intended to handle up to 600hp"?

EMX5636

Quoting FlyingEagle:
Not to be pedantic, but when we are all talking about the capacity that transmissions were designed to handle, we should all be talking about torque figures correct?

That is true, however it seems most "import" guys don't follow torque numbers much, so I guess builders assume that xxx whp will make roughly xxx torque, and rate them accordingly. Everyone wants those magic HP numbers.

And Kibby, your 450-500 HP setup is a good street mannered car that can be reliable if built right. Mine has made 470-525whp for 6-7 years now depending on if I have meth in the car or not. I think you will be very happy with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thecman02

I'll throw my opinion on the table. If you are making a pure high hp drag car, or street racing machine I would go auto. Place to get a good auto build. Its just easier on the driveline, you'll cut consistent and fast 60' all day. If you want an insane high horsepower street car(>400ftlbs, >500whp) that will occasionally tracked/dragged I would go with a dog box. If you want a moderate power(

thomcasey

If you wanna get the tools, Jack Transmissions will be producing a video series on YouTube showing how to completely disassemble and reassemble the transmissions so we can rebuilt them ourselves. This is per Jack at the Shootout over the weekend.

Kibby

Jacks wants more for the parts than tre wants to do a full build labor included.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned