The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mitsubishi MLS headgasket

presterone

I am about ready to use this gasket and I didn't send the block out to be decked. I resurfaced it with a wizzy wheel that has 3M disks that wont remove enough material but will clean it up close to mirror finish. Im sure someone has used this metal gasket without sending the block out... right? is this super sketchy?

moneypit

Check the deck with a straight edge. Make sure its within spec. If so, use some copper spray on the head gasket. Good luck.

Jason G.

I've done it several times. As said above, make sure it's straight and use copper spray. You shouldn't have any issues with it.

rdomeck

I am running my Cometic MLS that way with 21 PSI and have not had any issues......I'm about 3000 miles on my rebuild!

raptorWagon

Sounds like he used a rotary air tool with 3M sanding discs on the deck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif.

brisvr4

I used a knife sharpening stone wrapped with 2000 grit wet and dry paper to very lightly lap my block.
Keep the surface wet with wd40 and put some grease into each bore to protect them.
Clean clean clean then clan again once you are done lapping.
Only lap in one direction at a time using full strokes. This helps to prevent low spots.
Mine was fine till I tried 37psi on std arps with a 6262!

alansupra94

I am kinda confused on why people just don't take it to a machine shop. It really isn't that expensive....

presterone

I didn't want to pull the engine out because I am lazy. my garage is crowded with projects and I didnt think it would be absolutely necessary

Thanks for the input everybody, I especially like the wd40 idea I don't know why I didn't think of that. I haven't used WD since I was 14 and rode a bmx bike everywhere.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned