The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

671 wont start, maybe headgasket?

soo i recently rebuilt my engine, weisco/eagle combo on the block,fp2 cams and crower springs/retainers, mls head gasket, nothing was shaved when i did this headgasket, but car ran for 600 miles then kicked the bucket, when it was running it would take a couple turns of cranking and me feathering the gas peddle when it finally would start it would stumble and sound like only 3 cylinders were firing, but once i would rev it up white smoke would come out,once it warmed up it did fine no smoke while i drove??? i was thinking it was the headgasket, turbo spins fine,minimal shaft play, cant really think of anything else, anyone have any ideas?

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ good post! ^^^

While checking the basics, be sure to check the fuel pressure.

Do you have a logger?

If the ect readings are wonky, it'll make for a hard cold start.

Be sure to check the iat/baro/maf numbers as well. Any drift in those numbers will also make for some difficulties on a cold start.

Do check everything Brian listed. To me it does not sound like a head gasket, more so fuel/vacuum. Also you could have jumped your timing, so check that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ok will do, ill try and do it this weekend,theres definate fuel just have to check the pressure, i do have a data logger, so ill do the basics

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Classifieds Listings