The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MIG welding Aluminum

snohacking

I know I need 100 % argon to weld it and aluminum wire. Any thing else needed? Thoughts, tips, experiences?
Thanks
Ian

citymunky

spoon gun.

rdomeck

+1 on a spool gun. It will be more than frustrating otherwise! Once you get the hang of it, it's not to bad.

EMX5636

In a pinch, I've MIG'd aluminum without a spool gun, but it's much more precise and easier with one. Just be prepared to do a lot of after weld clean-up. It usually spatters a lot. The welds come out pretty nice though, after some practice.

CutlassJim

Seriously. TIG weld it or get it TIG welded. I just did this end cap yesterday.

2013-01-21_14-59-47_516.jpg

rdomeck

Mig welding has it's place......It's fast and good. Tig welding is slower and great. I have as much money in my spool gun's and mig welder's as I do my tig machines. They are faster and you can do good welds with them if you practice.

I did a job about three years ago click I did the design, fabrication and installation of this piece. Each ring is 30 foot in diameter and composed of 250 pieces of aluminum. So each side of each ring is about a 100' of welding just on the exterior. Now each side had to be triple passed. So that is 300' per side per ring...... 1200' worth of welding. When you start talking about that much welding you have to do it quickly or you will go out of business.

My point is, each welding process has it's place. I would tig weld aluminum all day long. It's my favorite process and metal....But it is faster to mig weld it if your set up for it.

rdomeck

Tig welding on the inner structure

Mig welding exterior

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts