The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

SS Wideband Bung For Downpipe

CarRacer

I need to put in a bung for a wideband I just purchased. I'm using a CMPE stainless downpipe.

The welder I have is setup to weld mild steel. I called an exhaust shop about installing in stainless. He said he doesn't use stainless wire. Is he an idiot and doing it wrong?

I'm thinking I should get a SS bung and get it done right. If I can use the supplied bung and weld it myself without any detrimental effects, that would be great.

Thanks.

You can weld Mild to stainless. Its just not as pretty.

For the best Stainless MIG setup you want:

-.025" 304l stainless wire

-Tri-mix shielding gas

-Good preparation on the seam to be welded. (Clean, v-channel the seam to be welded)

This will make even a 110v MIG welding stainless look pretty.

But you can weld stainless to Mild if you need to.

No determent other then mild filler can rust.

CarRacer

Great.

Thanks for the quick reply. Screw paying someone to weld a small part. I'll just do it myself.

Do most muffler shops have the bungs there? I have my PLX but no bung to weld to the down pipe.

Thanks,
Wendy

prove_it

You can weld mild to stainless, looks and doesn't last as long. It will crack.

turbowop

I highly doubt something as small as a sensor bung is going to crack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I have an old school Certified Muffler stainless exhaust from back around '01. They must have screwed up because one of the flanges is mild steel. Just one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Anyway, it's been on my car for years, and other than not looking as good as the rest of the exhaust, it's held up just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quoting girlieracr4g63:
Do most muffler shops have the bungs there? I have my PLX but no bung to weld to the down pipe.

Thanks,
Wendy

Wendy, you can install your wideband right into the stock o2 sensor location.

After that, you take the 0-1v signal provided by your wideband, and wire it into your O2 sensor pin on the ECU.

No welding required!

[dumbass]

Don't you need to keep the o2 sensor though for other readings?

[/dumbass]

turbowop

The PLX allows for you to simulate and output narrowband O2 to the ecu as well as output wideband to the gauge/readout so you can just use one sensor.

You can put it in the stock location if you do this, but I don't think the sensor will last as long. At least a Bosch sensor anyway. I don't think they're quite as hardy as the stock narrowband sensors. They're a little more finicky.

blacksheep

Where is the best place to put one on the gvr4 - downpipe or somewhere by the cat? How does one route this in the easiest. The Evo had grommets under passengers side you could pop out and send the 02 sensor in thru...worked very well.

turbowop

Mine is mounted on the top of the downpipe right in front of the firewall vertically. The wires travel straight up to the firewall and enter the cabin through the speedometer cable grommet.

Quoting turbowop:
The PLX allows for you to simulate and output narrowband O2 to the ecu as well as output wideband to the gauge/readout so you can just use one sensor.

You can put it in the stock location if you do this, but I don't think the sensor will last as long. At least a Bosch sensor anyway. I don't think they're quite as hardy as the stock narrowband sensors. They're a little more finicky.

Thanks for explaining that.

prove_it

Bosch sensors are designed to run in temps between 500-900 degrees. Installing any wideband sensor in the stock location will severely shorten the lifespan and accuracy of the sensor.

The sensor will continue to work but it will be off, usally around a point or so. Problem is that is enough to turn many moving parts into one.

blacksheep

Quoting turbowop:
Mine is mounted on the top of the downpipe right in front of the firewall vertically. The wires travel straight up to the firewall and enter the cabin through the speedometer cable grommet.

in4pics - I am sure you have them while waxing your struts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CP

Vibrant sells SS bungs. Try them. We stock them here at the store.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned