The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Meet 1218/2000....possibly one of the cleanest unmolested GVR4

pot

Staff member
Quoting LT1UltraZ:
Here are 2 better pics of the polish/wax job.
So far i had tinted the windows, changed out the capacitors and changed all the fluids to redline. Not sure what's going to be next, probably shocks/bushing/driveshaft rebuild as i have a slight vibration around 55mph? anything bellow or above and the car is smooth as butter. Any idea? could it be the tires? they are from 97 and hard as plastic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

also i am looking for a driver side foglight if anyone has one siting around. Mine has a tiny crack in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

DSC02079.JPG

DSC02087.JPG

Your vibration may be attributed to your tire wear between front to rear. Do you have mismatched or worn tires at either of the corners? Pending that you may have thrown a wheel weight somewhere. Check these easy stuff first. Good job on your purchase, reminds me of when I picked up 182.

Wookalar

Pot, I was just thinking that this car looks as clean as yours. Yours, op's car, and the one from NM a few years back are the cleanest stockers that have come up on this forum in the past few years, imo.

Also agree on replacing tires and balancing to start with for vibration pinpoint.

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Take a look at this thread. The symptoms described within sound much like what you're experiencing. click

That was super frustrating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LT1UltraZ

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Absolutely beautiful car. You're a lucky guy. Great work, and it looks like it is in very competent hands.

As far as the vibration goes, it could be a lot of things. Much of the time the driveshaft is to blame, but not always. Something people often overlook are the axle shafts. Something as simple as tire pressure could also cause it. If you are planning to get new tires, I'd do that first, and then try and diagnose the issue.

Take a look at this thread. The symptoms described within sound much like what you're experiencing. click

yeah i have seen that thread..hopefully it wont be as bad to trace my problem. I am planning on replacing the suspension, brake rotors, tires and redoing the drive shaft. Hopefully by that time the slight vibration will be gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LT1UltraZ

Quoting pot:
Quoting LT1UltraZ:
Here are 2 better pics of the polish/wax job.
So far i had tinted the windows, changed out the capacitors and changed all the fluids to redline. Not sure what's going to be next, probably shocks/bushing/driveshaft rebuild as i have a slight vibration around 55mph? anything bellow or above and the car is smooth as butter. Any idea? could it be the tires? they are from 97 and hard as plastic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

also i am looking for a driver side foglight if anyone has one siting around. Mine has a tiny crack in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Your vibration may be attributed to your tire wear between front to rear. Do you have mismatched or worn tires at either of the corners? Pending that you may have thrown a wheel weight somewhere. Check these easy stuff first. Good job on your purchase, reminds me of when I picked up 182.

Yeah the tires are from 97 and worn unevenly and not to mention feel like plastic, i can tell the car could use an alignment as well. Ill keep you guys posted

G

Staff member
Looks real nice, I would just have the balance checked on all 4 rims/ tires first. I don't see any hammer on type weights on the lips so either they were removed and then sticky weights were used or they are just missing.

What I was getting at in regards to the maintenance was this. For 10k and no maintenance done/ or no proof of maintenance done i'd be talking the seller way down on price. The reason is because if it had all original belts etc..... and the t belt was never replaced it would be a ticking time bomb. Everyone was only looking at how clean it is and justifying the price on that alone. No one ever asked about the maintenance history nor did the seller mention it in the ad.

My inquiry had nothing to do with the buyers skill level to do the job himself or how deep his pockets are to pay to have work done.

Last edited:

turbowop

I think justifying the price based on cleanliness alone isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a lot easier to fix a car with a blown timing belt than it is to fix one with a whole bunch of rust, yanno? If that were even to happen. Having all the service records is nice, but at this point, it's more of a novelty. Because of the years, a lot of things will still need to be done to this car, regardless of mileage.

That all said, he did mention he didn't pay asking price for the car, or anywhere near it. So it sounds like he was on the same page as you on the negotiation end of things anyway.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting G:
i'd be talking the seller way down on price.

Way down? Like a whole $200 bucks it would take to change every belt on the entire car? Maintenance history doesn't really mean much to me, personally. Unless I know the person/place who did the work, it's moot. I bet Coyotes got a receipt for his first botched timing belt job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I think a pile of receipts speaks more to the owner's attitude toward the car, not really as much about the actual mechanical condition it is probably in. I suppose each situation is different, but I think the condition of this car specifically says a lot about how it was cared for. In short, I agree with Mark in the sense that maintenance history for a 20+ year old car is more lip service and novelty than anything.

What do you look for when buying a car from someone who does all the maintenance themselves, G? A pile of receipts from AutoZone? Not everyone keeps a build thread here on the Org?

coyotes

I have the original window sticker and every receipt of my car since brand new, dating to 1991.

Including an 800 dollar receipt for an exhaust manifold overhaul, which upon my removal discovered bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the head instead of studs, one of which had a stripped bolt head, crossthreaded turbo -> j-pipe bolts, mismatched turbo bolts (all of which snapped, save for one), and partially stripped oil feed from cylinder head. I'll be lucky if it goes back in and doesn't leak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Have found many other surprises on my car as well, including all driver side lug nuts fitted with wrong pitch lug nuts, jacking up all the studs.

So yeah, receipts don't mean everything, although look nice in a huge pile on the ground. and yes, I have a receipt for my belt job that skipped timing.

Last edited:

LT1UltraZ

Honestly guys, the car doesn't need anything as it sits. I checked the timing belt and it looked good. Other then that, no major oil leaks (valve cover is leaking, big surprise here). No funny idle, no funny noises, no squeaks or rattles. Everything works as it should. Just going to treat it like any other 70k mile car i guess, besides the usual maintenance of course.

G

Staff member
Did you check for any sticky weights on the insides of the wheels?

pot

Staff member
Quoting Wookalar:
Pot, I was just thinking that this car looks as clean as yours. Yours, op's car, and the one from NM a few years back are the cleanest stockers that have come up on this forum in the past few years, imo.

Also agree on replacing tires and balancing to start with for vibration pinpoint.

Thanks for the kind words. Is this #3 back up on the net? Hotdamn if it's you Mike, glad to see you back in the swing of things -I'm interested to see where this bad boy goes.

Wookalar

Hi Pot, been here the whole time just was given some breaks from posting abilities. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pot, how many miles do you have on yours now? 182/1000?

pot

Staff member
Good deal. I'm extremely happy to hear your still around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I had to daily drive 182 for three years when I relocated due to employment. As a result I'm too embarrassed to say -gimme 5 yrs as she's back in the garage collecting dust. Let's see some pictures of #3 brother.

LT1UltraZ

sorry guys..ill post some pics...there is not a whole lot to see as far as updates. Car is BONE stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LT1UltraZ

family portrait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned