The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of #1942/2000! *UPDATE*

Adorsey

Hey guys, I just picked up #1942/2000, this is my first 4G63T and its AWSOME! I've been a member here for a little while, just lurking around seeing how everything goes on. I know about the language and have read the RULES so I dont need to be filled in on that lol. I have been addicted to this forum for a little while, I would look at the "Cars for sale" thread every chance I could, and I eventually found the one! click

I will be posting my own pictures of the car, and will probably be asking lots of Q's
So just letting you guys know whats up, I hope to have some good advice in the future./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If anyone is local to western mass, just let me know, I will always be looking for tips and any helpful info on these cars.

Thanks
Drew

Last edited:

4Grim

Congratulations...the car looks well taken care of!

Adorsey

thanks guys, I like her too.

Well not to much for add-on's now,
I acctually drove (baby'd) her home last night with a bad alternator. (witch I wasn't to happy about, but it was worth it)
And today I was breaking her in a little bit, still with the bad alt. just around the block and such, when I got under boost I heard something
bad like, an ic/p blow out or something. so I got out and looked under the hood but didn't really know what I was looking for..
After work today was in the garage, an checked all the ic piping cupplings, and they where all tight. I didnt have the material for a boost leak tester, so that will come tomarrow. It serges when it idles from 1000-1750rpm's, the fuel pressure ranges from 25-26.5psi, while idling and serging. I know the car needs a tune, is there anything else I should be looking into for the serging problem?

I am and will be doing more searching on my own, but any info right now would be great

thanks

Lonewolf64

Has the car been surging from the get-go? The first thing I would do is reset the idle by grounding out the proper connectors and turning the BISS screw until the car idles at a reasonable RPM. After starting the car up normally after this procedure it should not idle surge anymore unless something else is wrong. Next I would begin by testing the various idle-related sensors located on the throttle body, such as the closed throttle-switch (make sure this is grounded!), TPS, and ISC.

Adorsey

Yes, the PO had said that it's serging because it needs a tune, I didnt dought him I just didnt know.
I know that I have to ground the- ignition timming adjustment plug, and the diagnostic plug under the dash, but where do I ground them too if my battery is re-located in the trunk? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on your new ride! Idle surge from a maladjusted BISS is not uncommon on these cars, and if it hasn't been done yet I'd replace the o-ring on the biss as they get dry, shrink, and crack from old age. This can cause an air leak, leading to surge, or more commonly a BISS that backs out of adjustment. If left alone it can even back all the way out, which is no fun. You can get a replacement BISS from the dealer for only a few bucks which comes with a new seal, but it's plastic and just feels chintzy compared to the original. I recommend going to Harbor Break (freight) or similar and getting a huge box of 0-rings (500 in various sizes, just a few bucks) and replacing the seal yourself, and then you'll have o-rings handy for whenever you need them. Some threadlocker blue on the BISS threads is also a good idea.

Adorsey

Thats not a bad idea on the O-rings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I was looking at the BISS screw earlier in the week and its still in there luckly. I havent been able to get her on the road yet tho, I unfortonatly have a torn ACL and meniscus with surgery tomorrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Looks like the galant is out for the winter, which is good in a way. And I will be crutchin around in the garage with her in the down time. So when spring comes, she will be mint!

The girlfriend snapped this photo of her yesterday, safe at home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome.
Good luck on the idle surge. Mine had the same problem, luckily the grounding method, and a little screw adjustment worked for me.

1qkfwd

What's with all these vr4s bein picked up with idle surge issues? Mine surged but it was the idle switch turned to far in holding the throttle open a Lil bit.

Adorsey

yeah, im hoping that mine is just the biss. im definatly not ready to go outside yet tho, after surgery ive just been a bum. my leg hurts so bad..

Adorsey

So its been a little while since I purchased 1942. Theres been no driving of her because of certain reasons, But spring is coming soon and theres no reason to rush it. I've been busy with her latly, cleaning, replacing, paiting, understanding. Its been cold but I work through it. even in the tight space, lol

My heat set up in the garage

So Ive replaced a couple of things battery, intake, radiator, an another alternator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
I purchased a Adavance Auto 90amp, and it was a bad alternator from the start! WTF.
So I took advice from a previous post on a high output alter. and purchased one.

The picture above is a pic of the alter. wires, I know where the green plugs/wires go, im just not to sure on what this fourth wire is(red) would this be a ground? does it mount to the alt.?

I purchased the new radiator because my stock one was shot. New radiator fan and sensor port fitting. And custom brackets.

Im stumped on a few things I found in the engine bay like, these ports under my throttle body, Does anyone know what they are?? my best guess would be for coolent..

Maybe having to do with this thing? If so im looking to just get rid of this, unless those ports go to here and there needed?

Soo as I was looking into doing an ABS delete and some SS brake lines, my proportional valve looks like this.. both of the bottom ports are blocked and no lines coming up to them. im clueless...

What lines would those be? are there no rear brakes?

Looks like I have some things to clean up before spring...

Things to come:
Change all fluids
Install -6 SS fuel lines
Battery Box and new battery
Catch can setup
ABS delete
larger FMIC (I have one waiting for me from a friend, that he does not need)
Dual exaust, res. install
Tune*

Any help is greatly appreciated, I know everyone likes pics so, the more things I can ask and take shot of ill post 'em.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BoostedAWD91

the ports under the throttle body is a FIAV(Fast Idle Air Valve) which circulates coolant to the throttle body to help the idle during cold starts. The hoses connected to the water pipe which is under the thermostat housing. I would strongly suggest picking up a service manual which is a big help!!
As far as the brake lines, yes there are rear brakes and i would highly suggest ditching the ABS cause its junk in these cars. You will need a non abs prop valve, both lines from prop valve to master cylinder and a line to each of the front wheels. The lines going to the back wheels stay the same and dont need to be replaced. I might have a complete non abs conversion set left over if your interested. Ill check tomorrow and get back to you.
As for the black canister in the Passenger side bottom corner is the charcoal canister which is part of the emissions and isnt really needed. Most people just take them out.

Last edited:

Adorsey

very good to know. I might just pick up a service manual soon now that you mentioned it. And yeah I would be interested in the delete.. do you have the lines, or just the prop. valve? And yeah Im probably going to get rid of that canister.

BoostedAWD91

i know for a fact i have a prop valve and some of the lines, not sure if i have all 4 or not. I have some BNIB ones from Mitsubishi but they are mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Adorsey

so in the picture above of my proportional valve, would the lines missing be the rear lines to the master cyl.? or to the rear brakes themselves?

I wonder if I could just get a non-abs porp. valve, and just buy a spool of new line, and a double flare tool, and do it myself?

I need that book! lol

Last edited:

conquesttsi

Sorry it took so long for me to see this. Its cold, 1933 is sleeping for the winter. There are several of us near you depending on where you are in Western Mass. Lots of us dsmers in Connecticut. Have you checked out the local boards? pm me if you need the links.

Adorsey

I live in westfield. I haven't been on many other sites, but I get my research done here. I've been keeping up on her, I just got a non turbo tb that's being sent out on monday to be milled and tested, half shaft. Also found some non abs lines and valve to be swapped in.(Have to check on the back brake lines, picture above)
I think she will be set for spring:)

Adorsey

JUST finished up doing some dirty work: all new ball joints, all new wheel bearings, ss brake lines.
Took some pictures to help clear up the job, and just for the sake of the boards to give out some info!
my car sideways in my 2 car garage lol

passenger front before: new ball joint, new wheel bearings

with a few light hits the new tie rods I had done a month before, came right out

loosen up the bottom bolt on the calliper, lift up, an out

with the calliper out of the way you can remove its houseing thing

and then prep to get th ball joint out

after some wrenching

after some crazy hard blows at the casting the taper just popped right out

PB blasterrr. and just showing you the tools I use to get the fr ball joint out

came out easy enough, not as easy as the rears tho

AANND reverse, basically the same damn thing just assembling

and there in!

along with its new bearing the front hub can be put back in

Just a little update on what ive been up to out here in mass. im gonna finish up the this afternoon. take some more pictures of the rear setup, and some pics of my ride height I set last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andrew

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned