The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Maybe stupid questions regarding wastegate

Muntermugge

I have this setup from a Eclipse GSX with Garrath turbo, and think to use it on my GVR4.
BUT!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif
My GVR4 with JDM RS engine has the the stock turbo and wastegate with only one line/tube to the wastegate,
and this setup has 2 lines/tubes?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Can i block the one, and use the other, or shall I mount the stock wastegate???

What shall i do??
Some good advice ???
Hope anybody can help my, so I can get more power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

belize1334

It depends on what kind of boost controller you're running. If you have an electronic setup then it can take advantage of both ports. The way it does this is by pressurizing both at once. Then when you reach the desired boost level it vents the bottom port which causes the waste-gate to open. If you are just using an MBC (or a check-valve style ebc) then you'll want to leave the bottom port open and then run your line to the top port. Then neither port sees pressure until the desired boost level when the top port is pressurized and, again, the waste-gate opens.

Either way, the premise is that the waste-gate stays closed unless the outer port sees a higher pressure then the inner port. So, it's just a question of whether you want the signal to pressurized the outer port or vent the inner port...it's just a design preference.

Muntermugge

Ohhh..
I've a MBC and nothing else.
It's correct, that this setup have before been used with a electronic setup.

(I have for 2 years ago bought a Eclipse ESX i very bad condition,
and there had been burglaries in the car and the cabin was destroyed by water,
so I took all the good engine parts and scrap the Eclipse GSX)

And now it's must be used with my MBC.

Maybe it because my english not so good, but if i understand it correct, you mean, that i shall let the first be open, and the next use for the line/tube from my MBC?
Or /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

belize1334

If you have an MBC then you'll want to plug it into the top port (far left in picture) and leave the bottom port (far right in picture) unplugged. That way the bottom port is always at ambient pressure and the top port sees whatever pressure the MBC allows.

Muntermugge

YES.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I also have a Magnaflow Exhaust, and it shall on my baby..
BUT
First I need some help with the wastegate.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

EMX5636

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't you put the MBC line to the lower wastegate port? That way boost will push the wastegate open?

Muntermugge

"Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't you put the MBC line to the lower wastegate port? That way boost will push the wastegate open? "

I hope you have right.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I don't know, and maybe it's best to use the stock one, because i need a 1000% correct answer..

Maybe other here on the board can give a littel help

Barnes

100% Correct answer is to use the left (in the picture) port with an MBC.

Left port to MBC.
Right port open/not connected to anything.

This is exactly what belize1334 already said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muntermugge

GREAT...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
Thanks for all the great help from all here.
I'll change it soon...

EMX5636

Right, I'm thinking External Gates... Use the top port like the others have said, Sorry... It's been a long time since I've messed with an Internal setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned