The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MAF hacking with a variable resistor

NickDromez

So I just learned that if you place a variable resistor inline with the Intake Air Tempature wire you can manually control what tempature the air will be entering you intake. I'm thinking about trying this eventually and I'm wondering if anyone has done this with sucess. And if so how easy/hard was it

mitsuturbo

Isn't this basically what Al Blaha did with the 1g maf, back in the day? It wasn't "variable" but i believe he did alter the signal to the ECU by way of a resistor of some sort.

curtis

Yea did that 10 years ago with my stock maf. I think I still have a pack of those resistors in my electrical tool box.

NickDromez

Can u give a brief explanation of how you did it? And what kind of resistors did u use?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
So, to be clear, you are altering the signal related to the temperature, not actually changing the temperature as stated in the first post, correct?

At this point in time, with our advances in technology, why wouldn't you just run a 3g maf and a keydiver chip? Sure it costs a little more than a .50$ resistor, but really I think worth it.

Dan D

Adding the resistor on the blaha mas was to "cool" the IAT signal the ecu saw. Tricking the ecu in this fashion caused the the calculations for the AFR to add more fuel for a given volume of air. This was to combat the fact that Blaha cut off most of the chamber on the 1g mas, thus allowing tons of unmetered air in.

Yes adding a resistor or pot on the IAT can allow you to affect the AFR. Speed Racer's comment is on point. With what is availalble today for tuning these cars, this is the wrong way to go. Did people go kind of fast doing this back in the day? Sure. But back in the late 90's we were also all amazed if someone was able to make 350hp, dip into the low 12s, and keep some kind of drivability. Today all three of those things are pretty easy to achieve.

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting Speed_Racer:
At this point in time, with our advances in technology, why wouldn't you just run a 3g maf and a keydiver chip? Sure it costs a little more than a .50$ resistor, but really I think worth it.

According to his website Keydiver is no longer burning chips /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Yeah but you can find used chips pretty easy, just watch for sale here and on dsmtuners. I got mine here used already programmed for my setup, 560s, 3g maf, stage 3 chip. So far for the 3g maf I've invested:
MAF #482 -Free (junkyard)
Keydiver Chip -$60
1g-3g harness -$13
Still need to get my ECU socketed and capped. -$50
Worth the money I'd say, but I guess I won't REALLY know until I get it together. But since my car came without a maf (or injectors, or engine for that matter) this seemed to be the best plan. Even if I had to buy the 3g MAF they were only $40.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
According to his website Keydiver is no longer burning chips /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Hopefully this is only temporary. I know he started a fiber optic networking business of his own a while back, and I think it takes most of his time.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
For current owners (original owners), his site mentions you can have reflashes performed still. Just throwing it out there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts