The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lower timing belt cover - surprise!

so i was looking around this morning to see where my oil leak was coming from and found my leak but i was surprised to see some other fun that requires my attention.

man i hate working on the front case on these cars... i think i might drive it a little longer like this. i think i have another 10k miles before it takes my belts out. unless you guys see any other objections? its not making noise, its not smoking and it looks old (oil build up and age of the oil).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i think i already know what you guys are going to say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Barnes

Crank pulley is like: "Oh hi2u lower timing cover! omnomnomnom"

My only concern would be that it rips a chunk out of the timing cover and it gets under the timing belt or something like that. I suspect it will probably work fine for a while. This is a really common thing.

Polish

It could fail completely at any given time if it's already wobbled back that far. I would replace it.

Not worth risking the entire motor.

Barnes

I think the crank pulley is fine. It looks like the timing cover cracked and is loose. I think that's what is causing the timing cover to be eaten away by the crank pulley.

JackbNimble

I had the crank pulley separate at the middle ring a few months back. I had no idea something was wrong, in fact I did the timing belt about a month beforehand and noticed nothing wrong with the pulley. Anyway, when it went bad, boy did it make a bad noise at low RPMs. It took a nice chunk out of my lower timing cover with it, along with both belts (luckily not my timing belt). I'd say replace it just to be safe, it's not hard at all.

yea i had a harmonic pulley go on my NA eclipse on the way to work once. its a easy job but this TB cover isnt going to be fun. i hate doing a timing job while the motor is in the car... i can do it, but it sucks all around. thanks all for you input and warnings. looks like i can buy some time before i have to do this job.

hi2u nomnomno /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

AnotherNewb

Picked up a 2g GSX that the guy said he had it idling in the driveway and when he came back out it died and wouldn't start. When it rolled over it sounded like no compression, pulled the top timing cover and the cams rolled when you cranked it over. Got home and the balancer seperated and walked the alt belt into the timing cover... Needless to say, yes it had no compression

^^ And all but 2 valves were bent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Good excuse to slap some 1mm oversized, lightly port, springs, retainers, and some brass guides if you ask me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

galant344

that pulley is like a ticking time bomb and will go off at any given time. I would suggest not driving the car till you take it apart and see whats going on. not worth the trouble it can cause if you put it off. Unless you don't car about that engine in the car.

turbowop

Looks to me like the timing belt cover is a little warped at the bottom, since there is a space between the front cover and the timing cover. Seen that on a few different cars. If the pulley had already begun to separate, it wouldn't last another week, IMO.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

Hmm, he was looking for an oil leak... timing covers don't hold oil... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i was looking for a oil leak and on top of the oil leak i found this. i have a leak somewhere near the oil pan so i was scanning all around and above it.

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Hmm, he was looking for an oil leak... timing covers don't hold oil... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

They don't? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nowai.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned