The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help me pinpoint my oil leak!

stealthtt24

So this seems to be the only oil leak coming from my motor which is sitting in my garage. Its at the exhaust manifold, and I know ive read something about putting RTV on one of the manifold bolts. It just doesnt seem apparent which bolt the oil leak is coming from. See how the one exhaust port is completely oiled and the other are OK? 7 bolt motor. Ive done a leak down test and a compression test a while back and came back fine. I know, it looks weird doesn't it. Help! Thanks!

004-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

mikus

bottom middle stud is oil passage, unfortunately not how oil got in there.

are you getting exhaust smoke and when?

stealthtt24

Motor is out of the car but I was not getting any smoke when the motor was running.

TylerAdamson

First guess would've been exhaust stud that plugs the oil passage, but that's not the case here. I'm going with valve seals going bad.

mikus

agreed - seals seem likely (although testing suggests not so). maybe check intercooler/pipes for oil and check/change PCV as well.

stealthtt24

Question, should I just replace the VSS with the head on the motor?

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Motor is out of the car, and should I just buy 2 VSS and replace that cylinder? the head has less than 10k on it.... someone mentioned if the head has a burr on it and prematurely wears the VSS to just end up pulling the head down the road, which is what ill do.

broxma

Valves seals are so cheap there's no point. Just do them all. If you're not worried about the guides or the seats, just pop the springs, change the seal and pop the spring back on. An hours worth of work.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned