The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lifter tick?

alik

Sound coming from under the hood. Sounds like lifter tick. Gets louder past 4-5k.
My buddy said that it's not lifter tick, and something related to oil being sprayed on the pistons?

Suggestions, please.

Oil being sprayed on your pistons causing a ticking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yeah it's lifter tick. The stock ones suck but they make revised versions that all but eliminate the ticking.

alik

Now that I'm somewhat cognizant, I remember him telling me that it's wrist pin.

mikus

Post audio if possible. Go listen to youtube examples

Tick is faster & higher sound. Update lifters, avoid threads about viscosity.

Wrist pin should be lower sound, bit slower, more 'thuddy' (tech term). watch for bottom end, drive til it dies which could still be a while

alik

Mos def doesn't sound like the first one.
I'll post audio just to be sure

kerry92gvr4

i am going to say that is defiantly not lifter tick. pull the pan off and inspect your rods

alik

Orlando told me that it's wrist pin. My mechanic (another Portuguese) told me that it's bottom end.
Kerry makes it three. It must be so, but, what am I looking for?

(I'm a newb when it comes to engines).

kerry92gvr4

pull the pan off. and get some light under there and just look for something broke. check each connecting rod from the crank up to the piston. with how it sounds i am sure you will see something. also look for metal in the oil when you drain it before you drop the pan and also when you take the pan off. i am sure it will be noticeable

alik

Speaking of doing it without delaying, do I need oil pan gasket? Anything at all before I yank the oil pan?

(Besides oil and filter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

kerry92gvr4

yeah you will need a pan gasket when you put it back together. also make sure you put the pan bolts back in the same spot you took them from also, there are a few that are shorter and the are that way for a reason. you put one of the longer ones back were a short one went it will hit your timing belt and start to tear it up. bad bad thing lol

CarRacer

Don't use a gasket for your oil pan. The factory service manual says to use rtv on the oil pan. Be careful removing the pan so you don't dent it while removing it. Use a wide, flat gasket scraper or similar to loosen up the pan.

The two shorter bolts on the oil pan go under the timing belt near the harmonic balancer. Keep tabs on where you removed those from.

raptorWagon

Don't use one of those felpro gaskets from autozone or whatever, just scrape all the old sealant off first then apply new sealant such as the Permatex black RTV (oil resistant) on the pan before bolting up.

turbowop

+1 to using RTV to reseal the pan. And there are only two bolts that are shorter than the rest, which are the two that go directly under the timing belt. If you have bottom end problems though, it's likely that you won't need to reinstall the pan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

alik

As in, "I'm completely fucked"?
Er, "my bottom end is fubarred"?

+1 wrist pin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif . tear it apart and inspect it. it doesnt sound good, try not to drive it.

to help you the best i can, you can have this set or just 1 for free. just pay shipping and paypal. good luck sir!

i would just use them as parts... got them on ebay yearrrss ago for a nt to turbo build.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned