The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lifter tick?

alik

What's involved if it IS the wrist pins?
Swapping the pistons? Just the rings and bearings?

i would freshen up the whole motor, people may disagree. rings, bearings, gaskets - (head gasket, dont re-use that :p) and do your timing belt if its getting close to that time. you will need to hone the cylinders and check ring and bearing tolerances etc. they say not to re-use the head bolts (stock mitsu's), i do it anyway, but be warned!

i know i am forgetting something, its 5:50AM PDT. tear into her before you make any purchases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

alik

Well, when I bought her three years ago, the odo read 202k, and, it was a fresh rebuild.
Granted, the car sat for 2 years, while I was hacking front bumper, but, still, odo only reads 215.

I mean, WTF?

So, let's say the rings and head are fine. (Or, is it even safe to do so?)

Then, what do I swap?

H05TYL

Seeing as you've got to take it apart anyway it would be silly not to replace the rings.

Head gaskets are pretty cheap too.

The head bolts from 6-bolt motors ARE actually reusable, provided they are within spec (there is a measurement to check for stretch in the FSM), 7-bolt motors use Torque to yield head bolts, these are not reusable.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned