The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The cause of lifter tick.

gvr4ever

This might be a duh to some of you guys, but anyone ever ask what really causes lifter tick? I'm installing the 3rd revised generation lifters right now and taking a moment to give the old back a break. I was wondering why or how the 2nd revision lifters could have failed. It didn't seem to be a lack of oiling capabilities. The tick or tap seems to come from the lifter bottoming out. The oil doesn't seem to just lubricate, it seems to actually help aid as a lifter shock absorber. The 3rd gen lifter seems to have a stronger and longer spring. I think the spring in one of my old lifters just got weak and one of them might have actually broken because after a weekend of cleaning, one still sounded worse then the originals ever did.

So, if you have lifter tick, just get new ones. Also, know that if you don't have the 3rd gen lifter, that oil or filters or band aid fixes probably won't really do anything. I think they actually made the 2nd revision too short. When I bought the 2nd gen lifters, they cost a lot. Now days, they can be had before Mitsu gets them, so no excuses. I think I got the lifters and valve cover gasket for half of what the lifters cost the first time (about 8 years ago).

prove_it

Just get solid lash adjusters and call it a day. No leak down at high rpm and better valve control. Spendy but really nice.

gvr4ever

Well, the stockers should work fine for most people. In my case, my engine might be dead. Or something in the head is broken. It reeves freely, but the head sounds like junk.

If so, another part out.

bazeng

I thought about going solids myself, but asked a few of the high HP guys.

FP said they stick with hydraulic.
As do Kiggly.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the 2G lifters are actually shorter than the 1G and 3G lifters.

I've used them all and now have 3G lifters in my car.

I also thought that I had lifter tick but it was actually piston slap with the forged pistons...
Alot of bottom end noise sounds like it comes from the head, just keep that in mind.

gvr4ever

My engine is stock still at 122K miles. I changed the t-belt a little over a month ago and a BS removal and bypass job. I don't think I'm smashing valves and pistons as I've actually heard that before and I was just spinning the engine while doing the lifters. It sounds like its in the head only, but who knows.

I'll do a compression test and check timing marks tomorrow. Well, the cams and belt were all moving together while doing the lifters and spinning freely, except for compression strokes. I guess I can make sure it didn't skip a tooth or something. Ya, I'll do that tomorrow.

Brianawd

Using a 1g lifter will give you better top end.

As for the solid lifter. That's a big no no as you end up tossing Rockers like there is no tomorrow.

Last edited:

chucklesas

I was talking with one of my Evo buddies about lifter tick. He was telling me that lots of people with Evos thought they were getting lifter tick, but then all said it was actually the injectors actuating. Anyone heard this?

bazeng

Yeah, injectors do tick. Some louder than others (brand dependant).

But I believe if the tick isn't loud, don't worry about it.
If it sounds like the engine is going to fall apart then something is wrong.

A cheap trick to isolate which lifter may be the issue is to use a hose, put one end to your ear and the other on the rocker cover and it should amplify the lifter sound. Then just change the suspected lifter(s) and hope it goes away.

gvr4ever

Quoting bazeng:
Yeah, injectors do tick. Some louder than others (brand dependant).

But I believe if the tick isn't loud, don't worry about it.
If it sounds like the engine is going to fall apart then something is wrong.

A cheap trick to isolate which lifter may be the issue is to use a hose, put one end to your ear and the other on the rocker cover and it should amplify the lifter sound. Then just change the suspected lifter(s) and hope it goes away.

It currently sounds VERY bad. The car still started up right away like normal. Worst case, I killed the engine, but I don't think so. Best case, something is probably wrong with the head. After I check timing marks and compression, if they check out, I'll start a new thread with a video of this horrible noise.

prove_it

Quoting Brianawd:
Using a 1g lifter will give you better top end.

As for the solid lifter. That's a big no no as you end up tossing Rockers like there is no tomorrow.

I have never heard of issues with the solid adjusters, great to know! also why would a 1g have a better top end?

bazeng

My guess is that they have a smaller hole and well bleed down slower therefor keeping the lifters pumped and provided a bit more lift.

bazeng

You do have the oil distribution block installed yeah?

I had to ask, because I know of a guy who actually left it off and ran the head dry

1qkfwd

From what I've read 2g lifters are the beter ones to run for high rev setups. The 3g don't hang because they bleed down to fast. There is a thread on this board where a guy took all 16 of his 1g lifters apart and shimed them with washers so they only bled down to like .07". He said it was the most time consuming thing he did on the car but was well worth the work. He was working on land speed records so he's reving for a long period of time.

prove_it

I remember reading about that thread. It would take quite a while to do this. I have heard of people drilling out the hole in the top to rid the tick. I never gave it much merit, but maybe someone can chime in. So if the 3g lifters bleed down more than the 1g lifters, would it not be best to run the 1g lifters? If so, then maybe it's time for experimenting and trying to discover a new way to cure the tick using 1g lifters. Any ideas?

turbowop

Just get 3g lifters to rid the tick. I highly doubt there is a noticeable difference in HP by using 1g lifters. They're lifters, quit over-analyzing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned