The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ksport Pillowball Mounts. Any experiance....

Nabeel

broxma'

since making spacers did not work. I think I will modify the shock absorber it self. I sent ksport email two days ago about shipping it & no answer yet. I have been informed by them before that these are for there shock & not any other. this is why I asked before buying.
the original spacers are two each side, What about modifying only the bottom spacers only?

broxma

I tried that at home and it was a waste of time. It is possible I could put them on a lathe and do it which may be the ultimate solution. I think both spacers need that lip to allow the plates to spin. Mine don't have the bottom lip, so even a washer may fix it. I'll look at it tomorrow though since my day is blown.

/brox

Whoodoo

If the ball is sitting right on top of the spring perch, it might bind. The lower insert has a shoulder on it to put some space between the ball and the spring perch so this wont happen. Perhaps thats what your issue is? Also, it's not imperative for there to be a shoulder on top of the ball because the ball will spin in the bearing housing. You can torque down on the ball itself.

broxma

this is a bit of the issue. The ball doesn't spin, or at least not to any degree I consider acceptable. I can't even get the thing to move actually. It doesn't feel like it is floating in the sleeve. With the plate torqued down I would expect to be able to angle the plate and move it around. It doesn't It's tight like its a solid piece. I am up to my eyes in homework tonight howver over the next few days as I get the motor back together, I'm going to take them back off and give them another look.

/brox

belize1334

I suspect that your spring perch is interfering with the housing and that is what's causing the bind. You want both the spring perch and the strut rod to contact only the spherical bearing. Also, you'll want your collars to be slightly shorter than the total height of the hole through the spherical bearing so that when you torque the nut down the bearing is clamped. If the spacers are too tall then the bearing will float around them and you'll get clunky behavior.

broxma

Tonight I am taking them off and looking at the clearance between the bottom of the ball and the perch. I think you are right about that being the issue in all honesty. I can most likely add a washer to the bottom since I have enough thread on the top to give a few. I could also get a shorter nut for the top of the strut and gain a few threads back. Will update with any new information tonight or tomorrow.

/brox

Nabeel

I just want to confirm receiving the item and report that the packing was very bad. The two mounts was hitting each other during shipping and one bushing is lost. There where some holes on the box. It may shipped on a horse. I need a bushing to fit it I will try to make one. Also the ksport sign printed on the wrong place on one of the mount.
I will try fitting them when I go home.

Whoodoo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif That's the worst packing job ever! I'd be down for getting into contact with Ksport and trying to talk them into getting some better quality products to its customers. Three sets of camber plates, all arriving in consecutively worse condition... poor job Ksport

EDIT: Apparently they have a 1 year warranty. I'm sure if you wanted to pay shipping costs you could get them to send you new ones without missing parts.

Last edited:

Nabeel

I know. I don't want to wast more time or money. Just want to have them fitted on my Galant.
At least others will be warned. At same or cheaper price I can get Tein with better quality from Japan.

Whoodoo

Ok I'm bringing this thread back up because dustyduff was inquiring about teins and I now have one of ksports on the car.

I would like to first start with the pros of the Ksport camber plates:

1) they are made from 6061 which will resist corrosion very well
2) they are cheaper than teins. I paid $191.94 this last february. Teins are listed at $220 on their website
3) they are more available. Ksport makes them on an as-ordered basis, so it took 3 weeks for them to arrive. I understand that teins take 2-3 months

Ok, now for the cons:

1) I believe they are made to fit Ksport's coilovers and not the stock strut, so that requires some modification to the sleeves that center the shock rod in the spherical bearing
2) of the three people to recently purchase them, they were not packaged as well as they could have been so they arrived slightly scratched

In summary: If you have the ability to modify or make new inserts I would recommend these as a cheaper alternative to teins. However most people want a bolt-in application so there are other alternatives out there.

Here is my driver's side installed on an evo X front strut (be mindful that because I was using this strut I had to do quite a bit of modifications. I have explained them earlier in this thread)

broxma

To be certain, I did in fact get around to making a proper spacer for them. The issue with the pillowball not moving stems from the fact that the spacer needs to be taller than the height of the ball in order to allow for movement. I do not have any capacity to make more of them since I no longer work as a rule.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts