The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

knocking noise when braking

SiennaLover69

I literally just started getting these knocking noise while driving to school about an hour ago. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere on the drivers side under the hood and it starts knocking when I brake or rather when the car starts to get under like 10mph while braking. I can drive and let the car cruise to a stop and I cant hear it I think. I can brake with the E brake and I cant hear it. I can only hear it while braking and it only starts when I'm close to a complete stop.
Thanks in advance!

MellowVR4

Maybe the bolts on the caliper came loose, or maybe a control arm bolt came loose. I would check anything on that side to see if anything is loose.

prove_it

Once in a while I've had warped rotors cause similar noises. You can feel it, but as the rotor "wobbles" it shifts the pads around and can make noise. check all your bolts, verify they are all tight. Also what kind of pads do you have?

SiennaLover69

Thanks for the responses! I got out of class and had time to check it out, looks like there was a loose lugnut, got them all tightened, drove home and it was fine! Sorry, I should have checked it first but I had class and work immediately after and they are both across town so I was freaking out for a sec!

prove_it

Yep that will do it too. Check all of them now. If one was loose, there was a reason. Invest in a torque wrench also.

SiennaLover69

Cool thanks for the tip, I think it was loose because I had the tire removed recently from switching out belts, I might not have tightened it up enough since I replaced the alternator belt but still havent replaced the power steering lol.

prove_it

I would pick up a torque wrench. You can pick up a decent one for 30 bucks now and general tires come off often enough to warrant the investment. Especially after you pay to machine the rotors from improper torque on the lug nuts.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts