The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Keydriver Chip: Tips for Boost above stock?

desant78

Hello gvr4.org

The build/car I have came with a keydriver stage 3 chip, for 560cc inj and a cyclone function. I have spent the few weeks tidying up the vr4 after putting her back together. I am at 2000 miles and am ready to increase the boost.

My set up is

Evo 3 16g
evo 8 IC
3g MAF
Cyclone Intake
Act 2600 + Flywheel
560cc injectors
Wideband
AFPR
255 Walboro
ARP Headstuds
Mitsu Composite Headgasket

I would contact keydriver himself, but I really can't do such a thing. Anyone else have expierence with this? My gameplan is to up the boost to 15 then 18 and just log the car, and make sure I don't knock. This make sense?

Also with my set up, how hard would you push this 16g with 560cc?

thanks in advance!

5OF2k

Sounds like a fairly solid setup,very similar to mine. Should be fun.

When you're logging, be sure to check your timing maps. In the past when I've used the keydiver programs, I've noticed they're a tad timing-happy, at least for here at 5700ft elevation(or so). You may want to keep a timing light handy, and I wouldnt be surprised if you wind up having to back it down a few degrees to rid yourself of knock.

Now, as far as how much boost you can run, it's fairly dependant on a couple things. First, being the shape of the Evo 560s. I've heard of people having problems with them in the past flow-wise, to where they can actually cause engine failure from creating a lean condition, because they arent supplying fuel as theyre supposed to. THe best way to look into this, is to get yourself a wideband(*edit* just saw you had one after re-reading....lol), AND by reading your plugs. You should see a nice, clean tan color on the electrodes, that's the sign of a good stoich burn. Also, if you havent yet, I recommend doing the fuel pump re-wire. It helps keep to keep the fuel pump flowing nice and steady, instead of varying pressure/flow like it can when using the factory wiring(easy way to tell if you need to, is to listen to the fuel pump while the car is running. When you turn your blinkers on, headlights on/etc, if you hear the tone of the fuel pump change, you need to re-wire it. If it does it, you'll know exactly what Im talking about).

Once you have that done, you should be good for upwards of mid-20's boost-wise. Im running a similar setup (save for having AEM and a clean tune with a wideband/speed density) on 91 octane, and Im able to pull off up to 26lbs without knock and a healthy AFR. BUT, like I said, everyone's car and their specific setup is different...

Just take your time, log log log, and make adjustments in small incriments. The more time you take to do it right, the better off the car will be and therefore the more reliable, and FUN. Hope that helps!

-Jake

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I would run 17 psi with a similar setup (minus the clutch-no affect, and the arp studs, wideband and mls gasket) with a keydiver chip as well. Didn't have any know issues generally unless something else wasn't right

SleepinGVR4

You can't contact keydriver because its KEYDIVER. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Jeff O. isn't even here anymore to defend his good name.

I also had a similar setup and only ran 18psi.

If you decide to get bigger injectors, say FIC 850's down the road, I would sell you my old stage 3 Keydiver chip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AnotherNewb

Dsmchips.com

Here's the link to his site but it clearly states he's out of business. Really miss his post too, the man was the electrical guru of Mitsubishis. His site says that he is still taking care of existing customers, maybe you can drop him a message. Worst he could do is tell you to stuff it.

desant78

Thanks for all the input guys! Iam no way upset at keydriver, i just wanted to let the forum know i was turning to you guys because keydriver isnt around. It was more of a "im not lazy!" statement. Im new into the vr4 game and dont know anyone has used one.

maroonmetallic

Its a keydiver chip, not a keydriver chip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mitsuturbo

Quoting desant78:
I am no way upset at KEYDIVER ,

FTFY.

There's only ONE "R" in "K E Y D I V E R"

ktmrider

Yep, Keydiver. One of those common faux pas things like DSM vs MMC LOL.

FWIW I have nearly the same setup ( E8 fuel pump and MAF, VR4 RS IC ) and run at 18psi with no issues. Note tho, my altitude of 5300ft gives me a natural "boost" in A/F due to lower oxygen levels in the air.

tektic

You have to check out dsmecu.com and the yahoo group dsm-ecu.
I have used code found there to modify the stock code to run up to 30 psi.
from the factory load level 12 is ~14.5 and is the same afr and timing settings for
everything pound after that. It's all real rich too.
After kyles double load level mod I never made it out of the 7th load level really.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned