The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebuilt transmission

faqinshiet

So I have a 90 talon transmission from the junk yard (not sure of the condition) that I am thinking of sending out. So I'm wondering what stage rebuild to get. Currently the motor is stock with Evo 8 fuel pump, injectors, mas, Evo 3 turbo, keydriver, chip stock intercooler (for now till BAR cert) and 3" exhaust. Will have a built motor for later but don't want to go crazy with that maybe shooting for around 350-400hp. Will use car for occasional daily and weekend fun. What company and stage would you recommend? Thinking about Jack's but don't know which would be appropriate for me. Thanks in advance

Richard

EMX5636

Any of the big names can do it. I would recommend JNZ Tuning but shipping to PA could be killer. A normal rebuild with a street setup preload would probably be ok for you. Just be prepared, depending on the production date of your 90 transmission, there may be more parts/modifications involved than a 91-up trans.

toybreaker

iconoclast
JNZ Tuning

These guys are the real deal!

Paul's a damn good parts man, and Josh answered all my tech qustions while I tried to co-ordinate a long distance trans rebuild.

Highly recommend these guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

theevozero

click
Stock trans does not have preload on the input shaft. I would recommend a trans build with a bit more preload on all the shafts. I have personally shredded 4th gear in my stock Galant transmission.....twice, with a 287k original shortblock with a 16g(nothing crazy here), which was probably just shy of 350whp. After the 2nd failure I loaded the shafts and upgraded the gear sets. No more destroyed gears.

As for the motor, the stock shortblock is more than capable of handling your goals. I wouldn't touch it. I promise, you would end up installing a headache. Stock motors are very forgiving.

DSSA

Richard,

I would check the intermediate shaft diameter on a '90 before sending it out anywhere so that you know what you're up against.

As Justin posted in the first response, the early 90s require a newer intermediate shaft to upgrade as the bearing race that 2nd floats on is a smaller diameter than the late 90 and up units. That shaft alone is around $250.

If you can get the production date off of the car that you pulled it out of, I can cross-check it for you (that's going on the assumption that it is the original transmission in the car).

Josh

theevozero

The original vin is stamped on the forward portion of the case, on the edge of the bellhousing. Shouldn't be a problem.

faqinshiet

So I looked up the the transmission model number is w5m332npzs and VIN 4e3ct64u7le154631 stamped on the transmission to find that it is from a 1990 Talon AWD. A search on DSMtuners shows this: w5m33-2-NPZS 89-90 Eclipse AWD 5spd turbo mfg 3/89-6/90.

DSSA

Quoting theevozero:
The original vin is stamped on the forward portion of the case, on the edge of the bellhousing. Shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, this isn't always the case.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned