The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM VR-4. Speed Limiter.

miller

Any pointers on the easiest way to remove the Japanese Speed Limiter please? Its currently cutting in at the 160km/h mark.

I know on the early Evo's there is a trick to remove a link on the back of the Speedo binnacle....

raptorWagon

Didn't know that was a thing, but then again the USDM cars don't have such a thing.

MX4

Remove your speedo cluster. There is a screw on the back that lines up with the 180kph marking on the front of the speedo. From memory the screw has a wire running off it. Remove the screw and no more speed limiter.

miller

Remove your speedo cluster. There is a screw on the back that lines up with the 180kph marking on the front of the speedo. From memory the screw has a wire running off it. Remove the screw and no more speed limiter.
Cheers, Ill give that a go at the weekend coming up.

misterfixit

Cheers, Ill give that a go at the weekend coming up.
You need a HKS SLD (Speed Limit Defencer). I'll dig out the manual and see where it plugs in. There is a speed reed switch in the clocks that feeds into the ECU and the ABS i believe It's used to help compute load I believe. The JDM cars also have a second reed switch which pulses above 65 mph or some such and that drives the Initial D sounding chime in the dash under the climate control. That one is a basic circuit very similar to a door bell.

miller

You need a HKS SLD (Speed Limit Defencer). I'll dig out the manual and see where it plugs in. There is a speed reed switch in the clocks that feeds into the ECU and the ABS i believe It's used to help compute load I believe. The JDM cars also have a second reed switch which pulses above 65 mph or some such and that drives the Initial D sounding chime in the dash under the climate control. That one is a basic circuit very similar to a door bell.
That would be great if you could, I still haven't got around to opening the binnacle up. The Initial D chime is non existent in this one, well at least I haven't heard it yet and for sure its exceeded 65mph.

misterfixit

Here is my T-1 HKS SLD:

IMG_6388.JPG

And here is the wiring for E39A:
2541_SLD_HKS_T1_VR4_7m-gte_supra_ect_i.jpg
The inside of the box has all the chip idents filed off.
Hope this helps.

Rich

Any update on if the screw solution worked? I was able to deactivate my chime with the screw trick, but also haven't gotten around to removing the limiter screw. If the SLD is definetly needed do any of you have one for sale?

Nice, I'm shopping around for a paint job myself. How long is yours under the knife for? Hopefully I can go out and get some speed this week to test the limiter delete, i'll keep ya posted.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings