The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is anyone running a 16 g with out

matt92vr4

I have coolant hooked up to my Galant 16G, but I ran 2 EVO3 16G's on my Stealth without coolant for years. No problems.

prove_it

It helps to reduce oil coking. After a lot of hot runs and shutting it down hot oil will burn off and gunk up the bearings. Depending on the age and wear of your turbo it will affect it's life. It's not worth it to eliminate the water lines on a DD in my opinion.

Wizardawd

If you can get into a habit of properly letting the car idle after driving (IE Turbo Timer), you can get by without water cooling. But, as mentioned, for most daily drivers it is reccomended. Chrysler didn't have water cooling on the first turbos they installed in the K/G/L body cars with horrible results. Most people just don't let them cool down enough and warranty turbo replacements were common. When they added water cooling, it almost completely eliminated the failures.

Wiz

turbofonz

Been running my 16g's without water since 08'. No issues.

James

No coolant lines here.

BpuVR4

since this is kind of on the topic so to speak, how long do you guys set your timers for cooldown? I have mine for 40sec, and wondering if it's not enough. I rarely drive it hard, and if i happen to do so, i usually drive very casually the last couple minutes before setting the timer. I also heard new cars now you don't need to cooldown? is this true?

LIV4PSI

If your turbo is water cooled, then basically all the turbo timer is doing is wasting gas.

And for you guys not running water lines, how do you know it is not causing premature wear on the turbo? Just because it has been fine for a year or two, doesn't mean it won't cause the turbo to wear out quicker than if hooked up properly.

matt92vr4

I think that running coolant will generally increase the life of the turbo. I also agree that turbo timers are bad.

kama1

Never ran coolant lines on mine,8k kms,no problems.turbo is on the shelf(since my engine is down) no play at all.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned