The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

overheating

thecman02

Just got done with a Heat Transfer class. There will be no gain from colder engine temps unless you were having knock issues. You will lose far more power from the increased heat transfer of the engine combustion event into the cooler cylinder head, then from the infinitesimally small reduction of heat transfer into the intake air charge.

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Barnes

Only advantage of a bizarrely cold thermostat is that it can give you a thermal reservoir if you have no other choice.

For a thermostat to do its job, your radiator has to be able to reject more heat than your engine generates.

In the situation where your engine generates more heat than your radiator rejects, a colder thermostat would give you a larger thermal reservoir to delay temperature rise. I.E. If your coolant, block, head, radiator, etc etc are at 160 degrees F when you start to generate more heat than your radiator can reject, it will take LONGER for the coolant and related parts to reach an unsafe temp.

G

Staff member
^ What he said, especially for turbocharged vehicles that generate heat faster.

Barnes

I'm glad you agree G, but that doesn't mean I agree with anyone running a cooler thermostat. For 98% of the people here, if an OEM temp thermostat isn't working, and a lower temp is needed, IMO there is a weakness in their cooling system.

To me, relying on thermal inertia (thermal reservoir) is not something you normally want to do.

prove_it

I'm guessing the OP had an air pocket stuck in there. That will cause the temp sensor to "see" overheating as it's reading the hot air instead.

Coolant filler funnel

I use that all the time. Works sooooo good. Cheap too. You can buy just about everywhere. You'll never have a pocket.

transparentdsm

Quoting prove_it:
I'm guessing the OP had an air pocket stuck in there. That will cause the temp sensor to "see" overheating as it's reading the hot air instead.

Coolant filler funnel

I use that all the time. Works sooooo good. Cheap too. You can buy just about everywhere. You'll never have a pocket.

yeah it was a bubble i think, car is running like a top. im really happy. now i just need to tune.

Barnes - thats what i was thinking. if you need to use that low temp. of a thermostat to keep it at a normal operating temperature then you have more problems to fix,not try to patch them up with a colder thermostat.

if it was a track car that i was doing 5000 rpm launches, 8500 and up rpm shift going 120mph then yeah id want to use it because im abusing the crap out of the car, but for the daily normal driving its gonna see if it wont run on a 180 degree thermostat i need to know why.

turbowop

Quoting transparentdsm:

if it was a track car that i was doing 5000 rpm launches, 8500 and up rpm shift going 120mph

That sounds like my car, which certainly isn't just a track car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif A 180 works just fine for me. Hell, I used a 190 when I ran those times.

transparentdsm

oh, well then looks like im gonna be just fine. as long as i dont overheat once i add the thermostat tomorrow.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I wasn't trying to offer the colder thermostat to try and fix or patch the problem, but rather troll it out there in case anyone wanted to buy it.

prove_it

Quit shitting up his thread man....

G

Staff member
Settle down girl.

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned