The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I dont want my sunroof...

spoulson

I love my sunroof, but I'm not a stickler for weight reduction. My only complaint is that closing stops half way and I have to hit the button again. Oh, and when it rains, the drain tube makes reverberated gurgling noises. Perfectly acceptable for an 18 y/o car, IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gtluke

They all do that stop thing, I have NO idea why though.

atc250r

Staff member
So you don't get some moron's neck stuck in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

I hope all you guys bitching about the excess weight in the roof are planning to road race or otherwise use the car for some type of motorsports action the majority of the time, because complaining about that weight on a street car is pretty amusing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Tre3zy

Quoting turbowop:
I hope all you guys bitching about the excess weight in the roof are planning to road race or otherwise use the car for some type of motorsports action the majority of the time, because complaining about that weight on a street car is pretty amusing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

lol lucky my car didnt come with one.... although sometimes i wish it did.... specially on sunny days....

turbowop

I love the sunroof in 1051 and am kinda sad there isn't one in 503. It's surprisingly quiet at 70mph down the freeway with the windows all rolled up and only the sunroof wide open.

NateCrisman

Quoting turbowop:

10's& 130mph on a stock shortblock in a brick GVR4 will need all the help I can get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif You should see me pressing front hubs apart and back together just to save 3lb on removing ABS rings....obsessive?

JNR

what are the plans of the OP? If this isn't a full out track/race car, then personally I would make something where you could put it back someday. I'm all for saving weight, but if it's at the cost of ultimately ruining the car, so to speak, then I'll just try other areas or more power, if that was the goal. In an semi-related way, I was real tempted to put long arms on my 5.9!

You don't want your Sunroof anymore?

Here's an easy way, hammer to 100 and pull the hood latch. I guarantee you won't have one any more.

Raining glass sucks tho, your call.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I would rather you not hack up the car just to get rid of a sunroof. I say its more costly, but if thats what you prefer stop dumping money into that shell and but a shell without a sunroof.

Tre3zy

Quoting number638:
You don't want your Sunroof anymore?

Here's an easy way, hammer to 100 and pull the hood latch. I guarantee you won't have one any more.

Raining glass sucks tho, your call.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

thats a pretty fucked up way of getting rid of it.... if that ever happen there goes another vr4 gone....

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting NateCrisman:
Quoting turbowop:

10's& 130mph on a stock shortblock in a brick GVR4 will need all the help I can get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif You should see me pressing front hubs apart and back together just to save 3lb on removing ABS rings....obsessive?

Yeah, especially since I bet they don't weigh even 3 lbs.

NateCrisman

Well, if they are 3lb each, 1lb each, or 10lb each it doesn't matter: It's completely wasted weight that serves absolutely no purpose. Plus it's rotating weight. The only way to remove weight from a car is to be serious about it. If you don't bother for 1lb here and 1lb there, even when they are kinda pita you'll end up with less than 1/2 the weight loss you could have. There's unfortunatly not many giant heavy parts that can be replaced/removed to save a big chunk of weight. Once the front and rear bumpers are out an the AC is gone, weight removal becomes a game of finding small incremental improvements.

I know most people would spend big money for couple lb lighter wheels. What's some time with the press and replacing a 16 year old wheel bearing in the process in order to save likely 4.5-5lb total on the ABS rings? (I'll get an official weight once they are off)

Anyway, the sunroof assembly is big weight. I think we could pull 30lb easy and still keep the oem glass and keep it removable for a win/win.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I understand completely Nate. I have a road race car. I was just yanking your chain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have a couple sets in the garage I could weigh for you if you want to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NateCrisman

Haha yankin my chain is right! Road race guys usually are the most weight serious nutcases since it affects your turning transitions, braking, as well as acceleration. I'm a drag guy, I only care about accel and driveline breakage.

anyway, I suck, still haven't had time to play around with the sunroof on my parts car. maybe next week if things settle down (doubtful as all my parts just came in)

gtluke

i know where nate could save 50lbs pretty easy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

NateCrisman

42lb would be nice enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I don't expect to be under 200 no matter how much excercise or diet, that's the best I'v been able to get to since high school.

Unfortunatly, I have far more ambition to swing wrenches to lose a lb than I do to put down food for the same lb. oh well, I do need to start riding again. Can lost atleast 20lb with just a half hour ride per day.

DR1665

Rally cars (and I suspect most actual race-prepped cars for that matter) cannot have sunroofs/glass above the driver's head so they are routinely removed. On actual, full-race cars. If it's an actual race car, remove the headliner and sunroof assembly, then source a sheet of steel or aluminum to cover the hole from the top. Seal it with RTV and some hardware (for removal and re-sealing at some point if you want) or just weld the panel in place, grind the welds down, and paint to match.

My buddy Keith did this on 82/2000, which is his PGT rally car. I don't think its ever leaked.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned