The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Headliner help- ASC sunroof car

AWDPower

My GVR4 is one of the cars that has the ASC installed sunroof, not the Mitsu sunroof. I've done headliners before, but this car is very different. I removed the old headliner, and discoved that there is no backer board like most have. Instead, there are just a couple sections of the original Mistu headliner and board. There is a strip near the front window, a strip near the rear window, and small pieces near the dome and map lights. The ASC headliner was glued to those, and streched/suspened over all of the gaps, with nothing in contact with the back of the headliner. Has anyone replaced one of these? Is it as hard as it looks?

89Mirageman

I had a 1g with an aftermarket sunroof once and I went to the local junkyard and pulled a headliner from a non sunroof car and used it. It was a pain for sure but it worked. Just remember to trim a little at a time because you can't add it back.

maroonmetallic

I assume that the ASC sunroof slides into the car similar to the OEM one.

If it does, you will have to work hard to get a factory non-sunroof headliner to fit since it doesn't have the space for the sunroof to slide.

It might be easier to take a factory sunroof headliner & try to fill in the hole to size it to your sunroof.
After that you would have to add new fabric.

I saw some of those installed in Cadillacs & other GM's when I worked for a dealership.
They always looked like a pain to replace if the sunroof started leaking.

Regards,
-Shawn

rdomeck

Jason, This shouldn't be that hard if you take your time and like it says above trim a little at a time. I worked as a Porsche mechanic for a number of years and have done some headliners in older german cars that sound very similar to this. I got tired of paying someone else to do work that I was certain I could do. I lost my butt on the first few that I did, but I got the hang of it pretty quick after that. Invest in some tiny clamps that you can get at Harbor Freight or even Lowe's sells them. They are about an inch long and 3/8" wide. Mine are yellow if that helps. Use them all around the outside of the headliner. Leave you excess and re-clamp were needed. Hopefully this method will work with the thicker material as I have only tried it with vinyl headliners. Seems like you would be moving backwards to find another headliner. Someone cut yours up during the install for a reason!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned