The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I.D this intercooler!

James

A member here got it from DSMGraveyard as a "AMS kit". AMS says it isn't theirs.

MellowVR4

Defently looks like quality work, also looks like a gvr4 direct fit

MellowVR4

almost lookslike a ets kit

James

He said it was direct fit. But I wonder if anyone knows what it REALLY is.

Having to say "I don't know" when someone asks me my setup is going to be pretty lame xD

turbowop

Just say it's a custom build. Although it would be nice to know the brand of the core so you could get the exact specs, it doesn't really matter what "brand" the kit is.

BlitzVR4

Extreme Motorsports used to make a intercooler kit for our cars. Never actually seen one in person, but it was a direct fit with no cutting of the bumper support. It could be one of theirs.

turbowop

The one pictured looks like cutting of the support would be required. I think it was AMS that made the one that didn't require cutting, but it sat at an angle almost down below the bumper with a piece of aluminum used as a scoop for the airflow. It was kind of weird and I don't think it sold very well. That was way back around '01 or so if I recall.

Jason G.

Kinda looks like the old AIS one I had. IIRC, AWDnot2 was selling the i/c and Dave Brode offered piping.

I may be wrong though, it was close to 10 years ago.

James

CO claims no cutting required. He bought it in 05 from DSMGraveyard

Maybe the people at AMS are to new to know about this relic haha.

PolskiVR4

Definitely not an AMS kit. This looks like a Dsm motorsports kit to me. They made one back before they closed up shop.

turbowop

Quoting Jason G.:
Kinda looks like the old AIS one I had. IIRC, AWDnot2 was selling the i/c and Dave Brode offered piping.

I may be wrong though, it was close to 10 years ago.

That uicp does look like a Brode piece. A local buddy of mine still has that piping kit on his GVR4.

James

Well since it seems by the guesses that if we did figure it out, they would probably be out of business by now anyways!

CO says the size is 26x3.5x8

We all agree it looks like quality parts/welds and that's what's most important.

JNR

Quoting BlitzVR4:
Extreme Motorsports used to make a intercooler kit for our cars. Never actually seen one in person, but it was a direct fit with no cutting of the bumper support. It could be one of theirs.

That's not an extreme motorports FMIC, unless they changed the design...I have one of their early models [prototype] (want to say it's a griffins they used) and it's much larger and doesn't have quite the same ends' look, although being it's taller makes it looks totally different. As far as I know, the production models used the same heat exchanger/ends

I'll see if I can pull up a picture of mine. [Edit - will have to wait until I get home as this search sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ]

Last edited:

prove_it

Quoting BlitzVR4:

I have one of those kits, it is not even close. The extreme motorsports kit used a top to bottom flow griffin core.

The one in your pics looks like a one off build replica of an ets kit. Does look like it's got great build quality.

Last edited:

ktmrider

ETS had an early version, IIRC you had to delete fogs unlike the latest rev. Looks like one to me.

James

That's could be! I don't have fogs so that won't be an issue. Maybe ill shoot them and Email

turbowop

Early ETS kits had the hot pipe enter the endtank at an angle though, and had tabs for mounting the core to the bumper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

James

Eluded again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

jnava

Staff member
It only matters who made it if your trying to resell it. If your keeping it, then it's just custom.

turbowop

It could be a one-off from any company and they might not remember making it. It looks like a decent kit and the endtanks are nice. If you have the opportunity to grab it, you should.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned