The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how to loosen the timing belt tensioner without the special tool

I don't wanna make 1 because I don't have the supplies and I don't wanna pay 50 dollars . how do I get this thing lose

boostedinaz

Bench vise or big C clamp. Take it off then put it in one of the mentioned tools and SLOWLY compress it back down and put the pin back in. Make sure you put the pin on the correct side as well.

Last edited:
take the 12mm long full threade bolt from the topside of the alternator thread it through the mount and tighten until you can get the grenade pin in this way your not depreesing it to fast its free and easy

DR1665

The hydraulic tensioner? I've always used a big c-clamp and small allen wrench.
The belt itself? I've always used a pair of tin snips.

fuel

Often I find the pushrod pin hole just about lines up with the holes through the body of the tensioner. If the pushrod is slightly extended I turn over the engine by hand a few times and it's often enough to push the rod back in enough to put a pin in place. If that fails I just let it off and put the tensioner in a vice (between blocks of wood etc) or even just find the nearest full chassis truck or car with a tow hitch and place the tensioner between the chassis/tow hitch and a trolley jack and start jacking!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned