The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how to install an EVO steering wheel (UPDATE with pics)

I just talked to my friend that can make the plates.He has to do this under the radar so he wants me to see how many I need and then he will make them all at once.
I under stand that may be tuff so anyone who wants one let me know I'll see what I can do.

cost is $20 shipped USA

Ralli380Gvr4

+1

I talked him in to running 10 by the end of the week if you know any 1st gen DSM or Mirage owners the plate should work.
I have a guy using one on a 93 Mirage so I'll know if it works once he installs his.

I'll be at STPR this weekend and will try and get the plates made and ready for next week

Any update Shane? Does anyone know if Mitsubishi sells the horn button by itself?

Last edited by a moderator:

I sent the paypal address to those of you who were interested if anyone else wants one PM me and I'll send you the Paypal address $20 shipped.

Got my plate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif. What did you do for horn? I don't have the momo adaptor yet. Does it come with the provision for to maintian the horn?

Shane, I need some giudance on getting this thing mounted. It looks like it should be straight forward but I can't seem to line up the holes in the momo adaptor with the mounting plate. I'd like to install it this evening. Please correct me if I misunderstand what you wrote:
1) Mount the adaptor plate to the momo adaptor.
2) Reinstall the back cover.
3) Slide the wheel with adapter attached over the steering column and your good.

I'm going to assume the momo adaptor mounted on the back of the steering wheel. I can't seem to get the holes in the momo adaptor to line up with the holes in the plate. In looking closer at the pictures on pg 1, the momo adaptor I have is different from the one you have. Do yo have a part # it?

For the archives, the Momo adapter I have is the right one (I'll insert the part # later) for our cars. The plate doesn't line up with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I'm getting some adapter plates made to match the right Momo adapter if anyone's interested. I'm waiting to hear from the shop & don't have a price yet. For all the guys that bought these plates, please let me know if your experience is different because sometimes I can be a tard. All I know is I left work on my lunch time yesterday to install the Evo steering wheel & couldn't get it to work.

I went to the shop today & in looking at the placement of the wheel with the Momo adapter, I think it puts the wheel too close to the driver. The Momo adapter is ~3-4" & the design of the wheel adds another ~5". I'll get some exact measurements later tonight.

I have another possible solution that may not require the Momo adapter & incorporate a similar bracket to the one Shane used. This will allow the wheel to be mounted & be closer to the distance of the factory wheel from the driver. Maybe if you're tall & slide your seat all the way back this may not be an issue.

I have my work cut out for me but it shouldn't be that bad. I really like the Evo 8 steering wheel & like the idea that it's a stock oem/aftermarket item. It's a little narrower than the 1g steering wheel & a little beefier. Hence the reason I'm going through all this trouble. It's much easier to go buy an aftermarket steering wheel but where's the fun in that?

Again Sorry GW for any confusion

OK the adapter that I have IS NOT a MOMO adapter I got it second hand and thought it was.
It turns out the adapter is a universal Grant 5 bolt adapter sorry for any confusion.

The Grant 5 bolt adapter should line right up.

The plate was made for this adapter this is a two piece part but you only need the part in the Photo.

I had to special order the Grant adaptor from Pepboys. It was ~$23, $5 cheaper than Advanced Discount Auto Parts. If it's the right one I'll update this with the part # in a few days.

I installed this last night.
The correct hub adapter for the plate Shane made is made by Grant part # 4391.

The wheel sits flush with the factory column cover.

This means the distance between the driver & the steering wheel is very close to the factory setup. Not like I was seeing with the Momo adapter. I didn't know a steering wheel could make the car feel more sportier but it did. The wheel is just a tad smaller in diameter than the 1g. The wheel I bought doesn't have the horn button but I have another one on the way. The horn isn't hooked up but I haven't had a working horn for 2 years now. I hope to fix this when the other wheel arrives which should be today. I see Momo horn button on ebay for around $25. I contacted some of those sellers to get measurements but no reply back from any of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif So for those that want to do this, you can purchase the evo 8 wheel w/o the horn button (that's where ~80% of the cost is anyway), buy the ebay Momo horn button & the plate from Shane. We still have to figure out how to hook up the horn though.
EDIT: I never heard back from any of the ebay vendors on measurements for the momo horn button.

I used everything in the box except the following:

You also have to cut a 21/2 diameter circle on the back cover:

Quote:
I had to special order the Grant adaptor from Pepboys. It was ~$23, $5 cheaper than Advanced Discount Auto Parts. If it's the right one I'll update this with the part # in a few days.

Part # is 4391.

streetmasters

Did u ever get the horn to work? Any pics of the wheel on the car... Front view? I would like to do this factory set up as well...

Is the steering wheel thicker..my stock one is way too thin

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned