The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How often do you drive your GVR4?

pachood_1953

It was down for two years while I built the motor and freshened..Then I finally got it up and running but had an oil leak from the oil pump sprocket
I "fixed" the issue, then daily drove it for about a month breaking in the motor, put on 350 miles, then the oil leak came back..
Now its down, and too cold outside to fix it..It also sprung a leak at the fuel filler hose so I cant use my heater in the garage to fix that. I have had very little ambition to sit out in the cold and get covered in gas just so I can be led into another fun time of tearing apart the entire timing side once again.

So I pretty much never drive it..Im hoping to have it as the weekend car all of next year so I can actually make it to some events.

jared50438

i wish i had a real vr4 but i rock 300+miles a wee in mine year round but i clean it a lot in the winter with the crappy roads and let it thaw out in the garage and check everything over once a week

vegeta1170

I drive mine daily and still get questions about it from people around the dealership. Except from those that work in the shop with me. Since they see it all the time up on the lift while i'm fixing things on it. One guy said that he thinks my car is up in the shop more than it is in the parking lot.

charmcity

Ive never driven mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif But this will be the year.

Mine's a dd when not on jackstands. But i want to find something else to use as my work car.

Terry Posten

For the first 2 years it was a daily driver while the Vette chilled out in the garage. I drove it everywhere. I even took it up Pikes Peak for the infamous "Midwest to CO or bust" trip.

Got tired of never driving the Vette so I sold it and turned the GVR4 into a "project". After running a EVOIII turbo setup for a year, I got stupid and put WAY to much under the hood and it now ONLY sees perfect weather days.

Needless to say, it has been in the garage since November 1st with the cover on and storage insurance.

I have a "5 lug w/ABS delete" project I am gathering parts for and will go over every nut and bolt, replace all fluids, and scrub every nook and cranny in late March to have her ready for a fun year that may see a Megasquirt engine management system to get the last 100 or so horsepower out of the PTE6152R. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

uncleben4rice

Drive it every day hard..that's the only way they live... if you don't drive hard every day it will break on you...oh and I send the Dali lama money every day for my daily GVR4 blessings... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Armitage

Daily driving my VR4 pretty much every day for the last 8 years. 208k miles and counting!

Every muther effing day.

Cops hate that I have: a different colored hood, hood pins, a huge front-mount, and a silenced 3" turbo back.

They try to pull me over, only to realize the fresh legit inspection sticker and that they can't do a damn thing. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh and people that put their VR4's up for the "winter" are gay. (Except if they don't run of course)

1941Galant

Quoting number638:

Oh and people that put their VR4's up for the "winter" are gay. (Except if they don't run of course)

You do realize that VR4's do not take kindly to salt, right? If my car was already rusted out I wouldn't have much of a problem with driving it in the winter, however I want to preserve a relatively rust free GVR4. Not to mention, I think my jeep makes a better winter car than the VR4, so I would rather drive that.

mountaineerjeff

well a jeep does not make a better winter car, top heavy, less predictable, more expensive tires, hard on gas, as far as salt goes if you keep your car clean then it is no problem, my car is rust free and I hit the snow just for fun. I just make sure I give her a good scrubbin before bed, lol.

1941Galant

For me the Jeep makes more sense to drive in the winter. More ground clearance, more reliability, gas mileage isn't bad (4.0 w/ 2wd/4wd t-case), it cost A LOT less than my VR4, less maintenance, and it is overall a tougher vehicle, especially if I end up in a ditch or some kind of accident. I'm not saying the VR4's are bad in the snow, I'm just saying I would rather drive my jeep than my VR4.

I bought the car as a DD and it stayed that way for a year or two until the clutch went out; then I went away to school and it became a jsb for a while. Put some more goodies on it while it was in there and promptly broke an axle when I got back on the road. Back in the garage it went, this time emerging w/a 4 bolt and some suspension stuff and went back to DD status for another year or so. I've since got another car that is primarily my work/summer car and the Galant is my nice/fun/winter car. I've averaged putting a few thousand miles a year on the chassis since I bought it. There's no reason a GVR4 can't be a perfectly reliable DD as long as you stay on top of it. That said, getting another car makes me sleep better at night, haha.

3rdstrikedsm

About 800 miles per year if I can find time between major failures.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

I haven't driven it since early nov. due to clutch problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Before that i was driving it a 1-3 times per week on average. Now i just start it weekly. Also i'll push it up the street a hundred feet or so and back to keep the drivetrain lubed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned