The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How many miles on your GVR-4?

jnava

Staff member
I think it was 172k

JCorbo25

Purchased at 210k in December 2012; (supposedly engine was rebuild or replaced at 185k)

223,334 Miles today. Put ~13k in the first 12 months of ownership. It's my daily driver, but only gets about 15 miles/day now.

Repairs:
blown 14b (looked factory) - was like this when I bought it - replaced with S16G
drilled out CAT (also, looked original) - CAT fell apart and clogged
couple boost leaks - many more to fix

I'm pulling together parts for a timing belt job and have been gathering other parts for more minor repairs.

BpuVR4

problem with older cars and having gotten it after a couple (or few) owners have had it means it's a guessing game when things may go out on you. Unless you get the car, strip the whole thing down, rebuild everything and put in every new part that may leave you stranded and then put it all back in before you even drive it, something may get you while on the road. But thankfully we have this forum that you can try to stay one step ahead. I for one, dont have the resource to let it sit once i got it, i had to start driving it at least a little, but i chose one that I thought had enough new goodies on it that I wouldn't encounter same issues as I had with previous ones. Now that I'm older I care more about having a cool car I can drive anywhere anytime, instead of sacrificing reliability for more hp. I got 224k on mine i think and hoping for it to just behave to get me past freezing temps.

Kibby

452/2000 188xxx. Battery dies when it wants to broken flex pipe. Nightmare that is going to be fixed one purchase at a time lol. have papers from shop that show ~50K miles on engine but just about everything leaks.

boostin4door

"-I know. Just saying that some of us own very unreliable VR4s, and it's not because of the owner. Its because they are not as reliable as other Japanese cars of the same age. You mentioned how great yours has been, I wanted to mention how mine has been a total whore.
"How many Japanese CARS were turbo and AWD in this era? How many of said cars could produce 300+whp with very few mods? Wop stated it perfectly, PM on these cars is tedious and demanding. A tranny and TC service with PROPER fluids can close in on $100. Many will grab the "non proper" fluids to save a few $$$ then blame the car for bad syncros and failed TC's. Don't get started on AWS and its side effects like leaks that run the fluid system dry and bork all racks-."

" -yes others have, yes others haven't. I'll still continue to blame bad owners vs the car.
I know. Just saying that some of us own very unreliable VR4s, and it's not because of the owner. Its because they are not as reliable as other Japanese cars of the same age-."

I agree with both statements

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

They are so reliable that KTM and I both daily driver Subarus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fuel

Quoting ktmrider:
Quoting LIV4PSI:
I know. Just saying that some of us own very unreliable VR4s, and it's not because of the owner. Its because they are not as reliable as other Japanese cars of the same age. You mentioned how great yours has been, I wanted to mention how mine has been a total whore. I don't think I'm the minority

Sorry to keep hounding this.

How many Japanese CARS were turbo and AWD in this era? How many of said cars could produce 300+whp with very few mods?

U12 Bluebird SSS SR20DET 5spd with Atessa AWD 220hp
N14 Pulsar GTiR, same as above just in a smaller hatch body 220hp
R32 Skyline GTS-4 RB20DET 5spd Atessa-E AWD 212hp
BC5 Subaru Legacy GT and RS EJ20 DOHC Turbo 5spd AWD 220hp
ST185 Toyota Celica GT-Four 3S-GTE 5spd AWD 225hp
BG Mazda Familia GTR and GTae 210hp

I'm sure there's more.

turbowop

I'm sure there are more as well. Outside of the USA. You gotta remember the majority here is talking about stuff in this country.

JamesFoster

I bought #852 about 16 months ago with 206k on the clock. Worked out some bugs on the car and daily drove it until 211k and it jumped timing and bent all the intake valves. I put in the current stroker motor in then and have been daily driving it since. Now it has 226k. Absolutely zero problems since I put the new engine in the car.

#674 has 98k, and will be JSB until mid Feb, when I get home and finally get my engine back from the machine shop.

JamesFoster

Quoting turbowop:
Just wait until said Subarus are 21-22 years old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Oh god. I see the most incredibly trashed 02-03 wrx's now. I can't imagine many will survive another 10 years.

LIV4PSI

Quoting turbowop:
Just wait until said Subarus are 21-22 years old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I agree, its an unfair comparison. I was just having some fun with KTM.

JCorbo25

Quoting fuel:
Quoting ktmrider:
Quoting LIV4PSI:
I know. Just saying that some of us own very unreliable VR4s, and it's not because of the owner. Its because they are not as reliable as other Japanese cars of the same age. You mentioned how great yours has been, I wanted to mention how mine has been a total whore. I don't think I'm the minority

Sorry to keep hounding this.

How many Japanese CARS were turbo and AWD in this era? How many of said cars could produce 300+whp with very few mods?

U12 Bluebird SSS SR20DET 5spd with Atessa AWD 220hp
N14 Pulsar GTiR, same as above just in a smaller hatch body 220hp
R32 Skyline GTS-4 RB20DET 5spd Atessa-E AWD 212hp
BC5 Subaru Legacy GT and RS EJ20 DOHC Turbo 5spd AWD 220hp
ST185 Toyota Celica GT-Four 3S-GTE 5spd AWD 225hp
BG Mazda Familia GTR and GTae 210hp

I'm sure there's more.

There is only one in your list that is USDM:
Toyota Celica GT-Four

But those make our cars look simple and I'd hate to try to find any 'specific' parts for one right now.

You also forgot:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Eagle Talon TSI AWD/Plymouth Laser RS AWD) 195hp - same driveline as the Galant VR4

vtecds1

I just hit 60xxx miles before I stored her away for the winter.
Bought in 05 @52xxx.
About 5/6k miles on the motor and tranny.

gvr4ever

14xK on mine. It's down due to a defective thermostat that opened late. It was less then a year old too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Once fixed, I hope to get another 100K miles at least. I had a 91 turbo Talon once that I treated more like a disposable car. Got it around 140K miles and it was NOT taken care of. It had the original t-belt and water pump even. Quickly changed that out, ECU caps, fluids, clutch, brakes, suspension and beat the crap out of it till around the 190K+ mark. It was FWD and with some basic boost, IC, and exhaust mods, I couldn't get traction till 2nd gear and I didn't want to put money in to it. Compression was still 150psi plus on all 4. All it needed was probably a balance shaft removal, radiator, new turbo (the original one some how worked rather well, but looked like junk) and some other things to keep going. That car saw 100MPH often and I beat on it and treated it poorly while the Galant was a garage queen.

gtluke

279,xxx

what do I win?

FYI i bought it with 118k on it IIRC

460GVR4

204k, spun rod bearings (po) sold to me for $450 and I built motor and put another 2k in last 3 years on her.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned