The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HOW HARD IS DRIVING TOO HARD

Was thinking to myself, yeah i get on her once in awhile as im driving around and stuff almost daily, but what do u guys consider to be driving it to hard and breaking stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Dumb question but i guess thats why its under "noob"

thecman02

You pretty much answered your on question. Driving too hard is when you start breaking stuff.

haha, true. Lets just say owned a gsx about 5 years ago had problem after problem and finally blew, to add did not get on it at all really, so went to hondas, well yeah seem to have been sad in my eyes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif thought it was cool and thought "sick i have a d16z6 with greddy turbo kit and 180 fwhp" see sad, and the 4g63 brought me back needless to say and to get to the point this car gets down but how often do u guys get on it and is your car a dd. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

mikus

Quote:
haha, true. Lets just say owned a gsx about 5 years ago had problem after problem and finally blew, to add did not get on it at all really, so went to hondas, well yeah seem to have been sad in my eyes thought it was cool and thought "sick i have a d16z6 with greddy turbo kit and 180 fwhp" see sad, and the 4g63 brought me back needless to say and to get to the point this car gets down but how often do u guys get on it and is your car a dd.

xzibit-wtf.jpg

eviLntt

Quoting 651vr4:
Well driving home and going about 45 and my serpatine belt pops off. Car dies I wtf pop start and grinding type noise and pop hood and the crank pulley loose and crank bolt falls off and timing pulley is loose too. Has anyone had this happen and what would cause this will rip into tomorrow noon ideas welcome

You are driving it too hard.

Lonewolf64

I just got a headache trying to read OP's posts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

464/2K

Quoting turbowop:
Build/maintain them correctly, and these cars are just fine being romped on.

this is true. My stock car gets put threw it's paces reagularly, and the 464 gets it ever Now and then when I have enough room to open her up.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting turbowop:

Proper mods and it will not only be faster but safer to go fast without breaking stuff. Back when my car had no real boost leaks or other problems I used to get on it pretty good because I live on a virtually deserted road. Well, every single time after I did that the coolant line for the ofh always blew on me. So, I decided that while I had my engine out anyways I would switch to air cooled and I haven't had that problem since.

turbowop

I've never had a coolant line on the coolant/oil cooler blow off. Maybe you needed to replace the hose, hence me saying proper maintenance? If you replaced the hose with a new one than something else was wrong.

SmoothCustomer

It didn't pop off. The line to the oil cooler was rusted so bad that the flared end broke off and it was jagged on the end, which weakened the thin coolant line that's there, then when driving at high speeds (which caused higher coolant pressure) it was enough to blow through that weak part. I could have replaced the water pipe but why would I bother doing that instead of going air cooled?

4thStroke

Quoting turbowop:

No. They are not fine with that. There is no way you can call ME out on that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You need to take power into consideration. If you are mildly modified, it should be fine, like wop said. Start adding more and more power and the car does pretty well, except for the tranny.

Last edited:

prove_it

Just take care of your car and it will take car of you. More power means more money and more maintenance. I think that on a 20 year car it's even more important. Most cars are in need of work. Ball joints, tie rods, hoses, bearings, u-joints, bushings are in my opinion are maintenance items too. They will all eventually wear out, so replace them before they fail and you can expect it to last longer.

jepherz

Staff member
They are as reliable as any other car is when the stock motor makes 2x the power from factory and is AWD....if not more reliable. Like was mentioned before, build and maintain them correctly and it's not a problem.

Driving it too hard is when all becomes blurry and you are going back to the future.....

89coltgt

Should be more reliable than a turbocharged honda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

eviLntt

Quoting galantgti:
Driving it too hard is when all becomes blurry and you are going back to the future.....

at a blinding 88mph.

yeah i think ill punch it to 88 and go back to before my car decided to bend 11 valves so i could have prevented this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif but thanks to jonvr4 he has my back on this and will take care and fix my car at a great price thanks for the advice and jokes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif on this subject.

Proper maintance or not, some cars suck and some are tanks. If too hard is driving them until something breaks, then I can do that without going over 3k rpm. Also, doesn't it depend on how long you are going to keep your car? Ever hear the saying "Drive it like a rental." Besides breaking things is a great excuse to upgrade and make sure that part never breaks again. Its all a scheme to build a faster more reliable vehicle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned