The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How expensive is your VR4?

Brunoboy

im at around 14k with the car, its been JSB for half the time I have owned it, (3 years). I am on my second motor and second trans.The car still needs body work and a paint job...........and i need to fix the wiring problems.
-Shane

Struc

Bought 56/1000 for $1500, sorta running. Ended up needing a engine & tranny before it was running reliable.

I'd say I probably have $10k into it all together, along with countless hours of labor, and it runs and drives very well.

jnava

Staff member
Initial cost was $3700, since Jan, I've spent about $1300 since then and I'm about to drop another $300 for security. So $5300 since Jan.

BluFalcon

I don't even wanna think about it at this point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

cheekychimp

Actually I don't feel so bad now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I don't think I have much more into my car than Wop and some of the others and it seems like quite a few guys have been JSB almost as long as me!

Chad989of2000

I think the spending comes in waves...the car has always been quite reliable, but I drive it rarely (just for fun usually). I'll by a bunch of goodies at a time, install them and run the car like that for a while not spending dime...then repeat the process all over again further down the line. So yeah...spending comes to me in spurts. Also not quite sure the total spent so far.

mikus

#39, spent $1500, put 10K on it, sold for $3500
#1886, spent $6500, put 10K on it, sold for $5200
#1994 might end around $5200 with a sale value of $4200, depending if I paint it.

Really the numbers haven't been bad at all for me, just a lot of labor and I knew that going in.

trexn8

We drive a unique car and it costs to be cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Priceless!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16k and only 250awhp I suggest taking it to a shop or to someone who knows what they are doing....

Quoting Jesh:
Just curious how much money do you guys have invested into your galant so far? And how long have you had it? I personally have had mine 3 years and have about $16,000.00 into it. I've never had the car to a shop, so all that money is strictly in parts. Sad part is, it's only putting out maybe 250hp.

Lukefraizer

So I don't know the exact number in dollars we have in my car but the last number I was made aware of was around the 30k mark. That is for shop time and all kinds of other stuff as well. and the body still looks like crap. Rebuilt top and bottom end. Polly everything, EVo III 16g, big front mount, new oil pan, evo 8 seats (with the good brackets), custom ecu chip, wheels, Hotbitz rally coil overs, new rubber and 17's (had to keep the stock for rally ya know), water meth, JDM rear bumper, and the list goes on an on and on.... but now all she needs is a lot of body work and a good paint job and she is done!

alansupra94

Quoting trexn8:
I have at least 15k in mine already and that is mostly maintenance and restoring.

Good lord that is alot.

$2500 - 4/1000 Galant VR4 with tons of goodies - 3in exhaust, 880cc injectors, Walbro 255LH, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Fuel rail, S16G, Spearco Intercooler, ACT 2600 and rebuilt transmission by Turbotrix
$600 - AEM EMS with all sensors
$75 - AEM Serial Gauge
$50 - Complete A/C System
$30 - 4 lug hubs with ABS sensors
$10 - Greddy Knock-off BOV retofitted with a real Greddy diaphragm
$80 - ADR 18in Sudoku Wheels with tires
Free - AEM Wideband, 18in ADR 5 spoke w/ 8 Blizzak Tires (from Dad's totalled RX-8), Goodwrench stainless steel brake/clutch line
$3345 @ 330awhp

I rebuilt the whole engine by selling off the DSMLink that came with the car which included a new machined block, 2G/1G combo, MLS headgasket, ARP headstuds, ACL race bearings, NPR piston rings and new gaskets all around. I reused the head and sold the 272 Webb Camshafts that came with the car as well.

I currently have a fully custom/built transmission coming in (free), Holset VGT turbo, custom exhaust and intake manifold (welding myself) which would push me into the 500-600hp range. I may build the spare block in the garage but that really depends. Cost to make that jump might only materials for welding since the VGT Holset costs about the same as the S16G. I have I also have 1600cc injectors but didn't factor it in considering I could easily sell my 880cc for the price I paid for them.

I hope that this VGT actually will live up to its hype.

Brunoboy

330awhp on stock cams and 91 pump? ^

alansupra94

27psi and 93 pump gas. Boost spike on dyno. Normally I wouldn't run that high. Timing map was also pretty damn aggressive.

Last edited:

desant78

Quoting vtecds1:
I don't even want to think about how much I spent on the car. Makes me sick as I could of built a drag car. Majority of the money spent was fixing the po's hack jobs.

including car i am in 2.5k...runs fine just no p.s. and leaks oil horribly. All my time fabricating/replacing/fixing is all from the p.o's hack jobs. my car didn't suck..the p.o. who chopped it up and stripped everything possible did.

Quoting mikus:
#39, spent $1500, put 10K on it, sold for $3500
#1886, spent $6500, put 10K on it, sold for $5200
#1994 might end around $5200 with a sale value of $4200, depending if I paint it.

Really the numbers haven't been bad at all for me, just a lot of labor and I knew that going in.

Did Peter buy 1886 from you?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned