The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How expensive is your VR4?

4thStroke

I never said you had the slowest. In fact, your best ET is still quicker than mine.

I broke one transmission /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I wouldn't take any of it back. I don't mind having the car detuned to 440whp for daily duty and be a tankful of ehthanol away and have 560whp on tap when needed. At that point though, its a time bomb.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

6k with the car 92 gsx, 12k with the car 96 gsx 13k with the vr4, i only own the vr4 now the 96 i sold for 1k and the 92 was donated.... Im in the hole for 31k in the past four years of my life....

moduleunknown

I've never really thought about it, but I've now realized I've spent far too much to have only driven a GVR4 for about 80 miles total.

My first GVR4 (????/2000 in my sig) cost me an Xbox360 and carbon fiber hood from my evo in trade, neither of which I wanted - so not much to get started. That car was in poor shape. From that point, I probably spent roughly $2k in parts and supplies to get me going on restoring the car.

Then I bought another GVR4 for $500, strictly for parts that were missing and/or damaged on the first one that I was restoring.

Then there's the $1400ish I spent getting front and rear JDM bumpers over here for the car I had never driven. Then another $450 for a JDM exhaust a board member was selling (again, for a non running car I've never driven).

At that point, work had stalled on the project due to a new job. I then found #777 which has a much cleaner body, so I then spent $3500 thinking I could easily spend that much on the body work and paint to get my first one looking good again. All the parts I've picked up so far will transfer over, just a bit more work, but no body work required. Then, almost another $800 in maintenance parts to get #777 back in to good shape. Drove it for a day thinking I had fixed all the issues and oil leaks I found, only to realize that it was still leaking oil like a civ from one more location (now looking like it's coming from the oil filter housing). So, now it sits until I get some time (most likely after xmas) to swap on another OFH from a non leaky engine I have laying around. Hope that works or i'll be spending more.

Oh, and to top it off I got a speeding ticket (50 in a 40) my first and only full day driving #777. That seems to be a trend for me as the last time I got a ticket was a couple years back, the first day driving my evo.

...and now the evo needs a new set of tires. It never ends. I must be having fun though. I haven't quit yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting 4thStroke:
I never said you had the slowest. In fact, your best ET is still quicker than mine.

I broke one transmission /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I wouldn't take any of it back. I don't mind having the car detuned to 440whp for daily duty and be a tankful of ehthanol away and have 560whp on tap when needed. At that point though, its a time bomb.

Y SO SRS, Spence?
xdvxdvdef.gif

For all you guys who prefer a VR4 vs Evo just give me a call/pm I will offer a straight
trade for my 92vr4 with a butter smooth non grinding transmission the only major repair I
have ever done on the car($600)local rebuild 15k,20k,30k wow you guys are nuts.Spent a
few bucks here and there for some upgrades but I don't think I am even up to 5k.
Biggest expense was the buschur racing 3"stainless turbo back exhaust guess its good to have
connections and no my car doesn't jsb either.Holy sh*t got some catching up to do I guess wth?

Last edited by a moderator:

dmj

I in for about 12 Grand total in 2.5 years Brought the car for $1500.00 with a broken timing belt spent about $2000. rebuilding the engine all oem. Purchased New USDM front bumper 430 shipped from JNZ. Drove the car for the first time and the trans wouldn't shift into 2nd gear ,spent another 1000 to rebuild trans. Car ran great but rode like crap so I spent another $500 on H&R springs KYB struts and oem strut mounts Ride Improved but there was vibration so another $300 to Jnz For u joints bushings and carrier bearings. New CME exhaust 695.00. The car felt alot better. cranked up the boost so new intercooler set up about 450 .boost controller 100.. 17 psi Turbo goes south a few days later . New Evo 3 turbo ported and exhaust manifold with Arp bolts 800.00 New injectors Evo 8 mas and keydiver stage 3 $400.00 255 wally and Buschur fpr 375.00. Car pulled like a raped ape turn up the boost to 20psi now clutch is toast .New Act 2600 and Fidanza Flwheel 600.00. Rebuild clutch pedal Assembly 110.00 New oem master slave and stainless clutch line 175.00 All is good for 2 days now oil leak from front of engine WTF camseals are leaking plus tensioner bearing is leaking grease .New oem bearing + seals about $ 50.00 and HKS 264in/ex camshafts 600.00. replaced all coolant hoses about 100.00 Jdm Hood 380.less than a month later Water pump leaks. New Oem water pump 140.00 and Rebuilt alternator 150.00. Rebuilt transfer case 175.00 New rims and tires 1020.00. This does not include interior mods like shifter rebuild steering wheel guages etc. all work was done in my garage except for trans build Now the car is leaking oil again from the trans. PITA. THe good the car is rust free. as they come trans shifts excellent but Dammit I hate oil leaks. The car is going up for sale in January I am starting a small business and need the cash.

mitsuturbo

I just bought 555/1000 back in August. I took it home, tore it down, and started cleaning, buying parts.. and building. Here is my cost rundown so far. Some costs carried over from 1411/2000, but i still included them, since they were out of pocket expenses at one time, and the parts are going onto this car. So, basically... every dollar spent on any part going on this car is being counted. If i've missed anything... it's minor. Here goes:

Car 555/1000 $ 2000
gasket set 150
hg 50
tbelt 60
valves guides lifters 200
pistons 450
rods 300
machine work 1700
mainstuds 60
headstuds 90
bearings 60
flywheel 225
pressureplate 275
disc 100
Wideband 175
downpipe 100
cat 40
resonator/testpipe 40
fmic kit 750
alt relo kit 190
shifter 35
mounts 100
fuel reg, deliv, retrn 275
dsmlink w/sd 650
fp3052 1000
Fp 2.5" o2 housing 260
Oil feed/return 85
Fp race mani 280
MV-r Wastegate 350
MSD 96lb/hr injectors 375
Blitz pwr meter SBC-ID 400
Blitz DC-II FATT 75
Apexi EGT 190
VDO Oil pressure gauge 40
Springs/struts 400
90 OFH 80
Oil cooler/lines 100
93 headlights 60
4 bolt rear 250
HKS SSQV 100
Kelford cams 600
copper exh gaskets 60
oil cap(s) 100
Honda radiator/fan/stat 150
hoses 50

total $12980

edit: i just calculated how much carried over from the prior car, and it's $3200. Not really a significant portion of the list above.

Last edited:

2of9

damn. I know people have goals for their cars and some of these prices are pretty steep for what you guys have done. If I did how ever have the money to spend, it'd definitely be in the 10-12k range EASILY for sure though.

mikus

If you think VR4's are expensive for an enthusiast/collector car you need to try some other cars out. My vr4's cost some money sure, but the performance/cost ratio on this platform seems like a no-brainer to me.

slugsgomoo

threads like this make me sad because I haven't driven my car in over three years and the numbers are just mind crushing stupidity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Let's just say that if I wanted to fire sale, part out my car I think I could clear 15-18k, and that's with todays slow trading environment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Basically I have a shitload of awesome expensive parts that I am not doing sh*t with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtc.gif

vtecds1

I don't even want to think about how much I spent on the car. Makes me sick as I could of built a drag car. Majority of the money spent was fixing the po's hack jobs.

Last edited:

counting the purchase price. im up to about 5k into the car. and all the parts arent installed. its a slow build for me. but it is in excellent running order for 5k. ive had the car since october.

Adorsey

I bought my car for 4500$ have since put in about 3k.

Not bad for being my third car @ 18 (my age when I purchased the car)
(MY first cars where a mirage for 2k. totaled. And a civic four door 2.5k that I sold))

All the funds have been provided by myself, And that is the reason I take my sh*t seriously.
The car was at a shop once, too fill up the air in the tires...... and then I left.
I wouldnt have wanted a different car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif This thing just makes me shiver when I look at it.

So about 1 year 3 months, Ive had the motor out twice* and its out right now.
Ive put lots of man hours into it, but get lots of girl hours from it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif srsly, they go wild under boost
Have a set of evo9 pistons and Frankinstein referbished 1g rods on the way. going to send out my good block for a hot dip and bore when I get my pistons in.

My goal for this car is to have a daily driver animal, and a fairly decent 12~sec track slut.
I want to make it into 400whp range, but I will be upgrading my turbo before that goal is set.

I

donkeylips

I bought my current car for $650 over the summer with no motor, got the complete motor for $600. Still haven't gotten it running quite yet and I'm using tons of parts from previous cars/stuff I had laying around so it's hard to say since I had to spend money on this stuff at one time or another. But I'm around $2000 and it's almost ready to drive.

fuel

Including the purchase price and maintenance I've done in the two years of owning it, about NZ$9,500-10,000 (approx US$7-7.5k) all up.

dustyduff

The question is apples to oranges (evo vs vr4). I know I could have bought a brand new Evo with the money I've invested into my VR4. Everyone on here has their car for a different reason i.e. some drag race, some autocross, some DD, and some enjoy the nostalgia of the car being rare.

I haven't added up all of my receipts as of yet, but it's probably in the $15K to 20K range.

Wop's car (1051 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif) is a perfect example. Does the car need Recaro Seats/JDM bumpers/etc? No, but it's definitely a well built car that contains both show and go. People praise 1051 because of the time/investment he has put into the car. Other people will brag that they only have $2K invested in their running car, but it looks like a shitbox. Who really cares though?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Eveyone has their own preferences/expectations/ambitions with modding their car.

I could have bought an Evo, but it would be just like every other stock evo (without putting MORE money into it). For the $15-$20K I've put into my Galant, I can tell you that you'd be hard pressed to find another one like it.

4thStroke

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting 4thStroke:

Y SO SRS, Spence?
xdvxdvdef.gif

You hurt my feelings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

mitsuturbo

I honestly had NO idea i was up to my bicep in this car i'm building now.
To be fair.. some of the costs have been spread out over nearly 2 years. Many of the parts i had sitting new for quite some time.
the pistons, rods, wideband, clutch and exhaust parts have been sitting... awaiting the build to begin

mountaineerjeff

Ive easily had over 20-25k in mitsu stuff counting my mirage. but def over 10 in vr4. and the fastest timeslip any of my cars have ever had is like 14.6. which was with 1844 completely stock. (all are MUCH faster, just never made it to the track) sometimes it makes me sad, given the fact that i have put a lot in, and dont even currently have a running car. BTW price estimates include the price of the cars, not just mods.

I think my curse is wanting to show them off. so far everytime something has happened is when i was getting them prepared to go to a meet. I have still yet to make it successfully to a vr4/mitsu meet. GHEY.

Holy sh*t............This is alot of money in these cars.
I spent 3k on my car originally, and 2k total since ive had it.
Fresh low mile rebuilt block
fairly built head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Jacks transmission /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
for new style reliability, dsm link for tunability, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My car is easily a 12.0-12.3 car thats stupid reliable i drive it between 500-1000 miles per week. i plan on going with a 35r kit (used) around 2k more total) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif that i already have all supporting mods for, should get me low 11 high tens, and pay about 2k for new bodu pieces and paint.

so i plan on between 9-10k to go tens daily on pump gas, reliably and still have a good looking car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned