The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How'd you meet your Gvr4.

boostx

Autotrade.

strokin4dr

I had been into DSM's for a couple of years, but never knew of the VR4. One day, while surfing dsmt00ners, I came across this pic /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif:

After reading up on these cars a bit, I was looking everywhere for one, but could not find one locally.
A few months later, a friend that lived nearby came over and said that he was about to purchase a GVR4 the following week that needed some work and wanted to know if I would help him figure out what was wrong with it. Has said it was local and they only wanted $500 for it. I was so jelious, I told him how much I wanted one of these cars, and since he would not tell me where the car was located(for obvious reasons /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/devil.gif), I asked if he would just let me know if anything happens where he would not be getting it or if he changed his mind. He said sure. 2 weeks go by and I have not seen or heard from him, so I stop by his house. His mom answers the door, says he is not there, so I ask her if he bought the Galant. She laughed and said that she was not letting him bring another broke down POS into her yard. She said that she made him purchase something reliabe and pointed to the Kia Sephia sitting in the driveway /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif. About that time, he came walking up and told me the situation and then let me know where the car was. I was at the lot less that 15 minutes later paying the guy for the car.

It ended up being a broken timing belt and some bent valves, so I built a 2.3l for it and have been restoring and modding it ever since. The guy that bought the Kia still stops by every now and again and drools over the car that he almost had. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/tongue.gif

It wasn't until about 2 years after I got the car that I found this board. I was going to lunch with my g/f. As we pulled into a parking spot, up ahead at an intersection I hear and then see a shiney white Galant. It looked like it was lowered and sounded mean. I got all excited and told my g/f to get back in the car and follow it; I had to see if it was a VR4. She was not thrilled, because we were hungry and in her car so she was driving, but agreed to stalk the Galant anyway. After numerous turns and losing sight of it more than once, we finally caught up. It was clean and had no badges on the rear so I still was not sure if it was a VR4. She asked if I was happy now, I said no, pull up beside it. So sitting at the traffic light, I roll down the window and start waving my arms in the air at the guy in the car to get his attention. He looks over, rolls down his window and gives me the WTF look /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif. I asked him if the car was a VR4. He kind of laughed and confirmed it. I was so excited because it was the first one I had seen besides my own. I talked with him at the light for a moment, told him about my car, we exchange #'s and he told me about this board. After we left the light, my g/f was like, "Ok, that was so gay, you stop a dude at the light who is driving a POS like yours and you get his #." /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif I couldn't stop laughing after that and we were both laughing while thinking about what the guy in the Galant must have thought. Turns out that he is a really cool guy, been into VR4's for a while(hell, it was his 1st car) and been on the board for quite some time too.

I'm sure Andre(seven26) will get a kick out of this when he reads it.

boostedinaz

About 6 years ago I was looking for an AWD DSM to replace my FWD Laser. As I looked through a ton of ads I would see a GVR4 once in awhile. They looked cool and I didn't see many of them. I kinda wanted one but thought they were just N/A FWD cars. Since most were than I wanted to spend at the time for a 3rd car I decided on a clean 1G in Tucson. After I bought the Talon I wanted see what these GVR4s were about. Found out I should have just ponied up and bought a bitchin' limited edition car. Oh well I love my Talon.

Fast forward 5 years and my Fiance tells me she is pregnant. Damn now I need a 4 door car and don't want to sell the Talon, plus we are in the process of buying a house at the time. She tells me to see how much those "cars that are kinda like your DSM, but 4 door," are going for. Good call. From that day I started to look for a GVR4. I looked all over even at some across the country, but none were what I wanted. They were either beat to hell or really modded. I thought I would never find one, when out of nowhere I get a PM from Mike1101. He says he saw me posting asking about buying a Galant. He also said, he is local to me and was thinking about selling his. I went and looked at it shortly after and it was really clean so I test drove it. It ended up being coolbecause we had met like 7 years ago when I first got into DSMs with my FWD laser at a monthly DSM meet in Phoenix. We started talking and I decided to buy it. We agreed to meet the next weekend and I would pay for it and pick it up. During that week my better half and I went for a ride because she wanted to see what the the deal was with these cars. She said it was nicer than she expected and pretty quick, plus she really liked the badge on the dash. Went and picked it up that weekend and have loved it every since. It is pretty rare, clean, and quick for a family car. The car seats fit perfect and the few problems it had I already had parts to fix them.

For the future I plan to only modify it slightly and keep all the stock parts. It will basically get all used EVO parts. EVO suspension, EVO fuel pump, EVO injectors, EVO front mount, and so on. I am also goijng to do some interior updates, and a stereo upgrade that has already started. After that I plan on driving the wheels off it. I don't think I could ever sell it.

TWEAKD4

I already had a 92 TSI AWD so I knew about them. Ran across an ad in the local Indiana Auto &RV. It was in the repairable section. It stated 92 galant, 5 speed, turbo $2850. This was back in 1999 when GVR4s were selling over $6000+. I knew it was a GVR4 so I called them up to get directions. I had to drive 3 hours into Ohio to a salvage yard that day. It was a victim of a Tbelt breakage. I talked them down to $2000. I found out they drive to Fort Wayne all the time to pick up cars so they delivered it to my house for $50. Couldn't beat that. Sold the Talon to fix up the Galant. I can't believe I have had this car for 8 years.

ercp98

i had a friend with a white vr4. he let me drive that thing and fell in love with it right away. this was 8yrs ago. tried looking for one that is local. saw one that was modded a bit with original HK$ stuff. but the dealer knew what he had and asked for 11k for it. he won't even let me take a test drive unless i have a down payment. after months of salivating i gave up. i can't afford 11k. fast forward 1yr, my friend found another vr4. we check it out and the dealer had it in the back of the lot right next to a camry or accord. she was a sorry sight to look at and drove like it too. had the car with me that same day. a month later the transmission went out. AAMCO had a field day with me. i wish i had know about this site sooner. i would have jacks tranny in now or would have saved me alot of money. i still have her and still looking sorry like the day i bought her. this car though still gives me a big grin everytime i drive her.

Diego

well my story to finding my 4 was kinda a long process. She was sittin behind a fence at an oil refinery for at least a year and a half never seen her move but would pass daily to see who the fortunate owner was. one day called the company wishin to speak to the owner and got a bunch of miscommunication from the company on the car. drove back home from working in sioux falls to notice that she moved. well she only moved to the front of the fence with a for sale and i jumped the opportunity. now she is all mine, just wish she would run for more then 1k miles before blowing heads, then oil pumps, and time slippage, oh and the imfamous blown turbo sh*t. but even tho i gotta keep repairin her shes still a beauty sittin in the shop. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smirk.gif but gotta see what the shop bill will be this time for yet again another head and oil pump and pulleys and sh*t man. lol but shes still mine thats all that matters. ya know lol

DR1665

Been a closet rally fan for years and a DSM owner since 1996. September 05, a buddy of mine on 2GNT shoots me a PM asking if I'd like to help some friend of his with service at the Prescott Rally. They race a Neon in Production Stock and are cool people. I jumped all over it.

Prescott was October 2005. By November 1st, I was totally hooked and made a WTB post asking to see if anyone on Tuners had an old 1G for sale cheap that I could strip down and get to work on as a rally car project. First guy to contact me tells me he's got a pretty clean 1G TSi AWD with the motor in pieces in the trunk, but he's also got this Galant VR4 with a blown engine parked at his mother-in-law's place. I went back and forth for a couple days, but ended up snatching 195 for $1500 by the middle of November.

It was January before I got her home from New Mexico and December the following year before I got her running.

I've recently decided to part out and sell my Talon. I'd like to pick up another one of these awesome cars, but the money is going towards a cage and a pair of FIA seats for the Galant.

I came across mine at a time when all my friends in high school had Hondas and stuff and I was looking for something that was a little.....faster/nicer/better lol. Started the search, knew nothing really of DSM's but the WRX was coming out and couldn’t afford one of those at the time, so I googled turbo AWD cars and came up with DSM's. Started looking at them and came across a gvr4 and fell in love with it. Searched on autotrader and found #27 at a used car dealership with 58,000 original miles on it, completely stock /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/laugh.gif, and snaged it up and have owned a gvr4 ever since.

BluFalcon

I picked up my first one, 1954/2K from a friend of mine. He'd gotten it from his roommate, who had decided to move to a commune in Hawaii (no joke), and left it behind. The car was in pretty bad shape, with a cracked block and a nice thick layer of oil from the exhaust coating the entire rear of the car. He needed a reliable car, and I had a 90 GS-T that I had just resurrected from the dead. He got my nice, running DD and I got his pile along with a box of parts left in the storage unit by Commune Boy. I pulled the motor and found out the block was from a automatic Eclipse GSX, and it had 2 390cc injectors along with the two 450's it should have had. Threw a re-ringed block and reworked head in, got it running and spent a lot of time unf**king the car. It was my DD for a few years. Decided to sell the car in a moment of extreme stupidity and it went off with its new owner, a Tech School student in the Air Force. I think the car made it to his first duty station in either North or South Dakota.

I picked up my 2nd GVR-4 (521/1K) in 2006, after I sold my modded 92 Talon TSi/FWD daily driver. Drove all the way to Colorado to pick it up, and drove it back. The drive back was mostly incident free, except for a glitchy coil pack somewhere in the Middle Of Nowhere, New Mexico. I've got all the gory details of the roadtrip to pick up the car on one of my Cardomain pages. Check it out: You Drove All That Way, For This?

I don't think I'll be selling this one anytime soon.

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

NYC86ZC

I've wanted one for a while, but I was into hondas (87 built turbo crx, civics etc). It came time to sell the crx and move on. I wanted to trade the crx for a gvr4, but i didnt get any takers here. I sold the crx after a few weeks on the market and heard of the infamous grey #541/1000 for sale from a friend of mine, Chris (90spoolinvr4). The car was stripped of all the go fast goodies/engine/tranny/radiator/and other parts. It was basically in shambles, but had low miles, NO RUST, and a mint interior. I put together an engine and started to piece it back together. It's still a work in progress.
I picked it up from Bellmore, before that it resided in PA and before that Iowa or something.

Last edited:

number3

Quote:
I first saw a GVR4 in Turbo. I think it was coverage from a really early DSM shootout,probably '96 or so. It was a pic of one launching hard,and running 12s or 13s which seemed insanely fast for such a plain jane UGLY car. I thought it was neat,but thought too ugly...not for me!

Ugly!!! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif That we me in those pictures! Those really were the best days to take a GVR4 to the track. Hardly anyone knew what it was.

14bCrazy

The whore got pregnent and made me marry her. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif

i was looking for one after my boy crashed my ggs so i was on my deliveries and saw this old man driving it stopped him and asked if it was for sale he told me see a for sale sign on it i said no so he told me its not for sale so about 3 years past and i was droppin off a set of brake pads to a shop and there it was with a broken axle and shock so ask the owner of the shop whats he doing with ti and the owner told me what do you want with that pos i said nothing so he gave me the number i called and got it for 2000 from the original owner

strokin4dr

^ I'm going to go blind trying to read that sh*t. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif

Sr71sss

Quote:
The whore got pregnent and made me marry her. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif

refresh my mine but is Virginia still considered part of the "dirty south" /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

Mark

The motor blew on my talon and my boss had it sitting around.. While looking for options for he talon he was leeting me borrow the galant to drive around. He never did get it back as for I bought it from him.

ggsxkid

well well well, i kinda have two. first is when i picked up the gsx about 3 years ago when i was 16. before i had bought the gsx i was all over the place with what car i wanted to buy, every week i found a new car that i wanted to buy and mod. this was all over lenght of a year. then i settled on buying a dsm and was constantly on dsmtuners looking for a cheap one. finally one day i found an add saying galant gsx n/t awd, now prior to this i knew about gvr4's (thanks to ian aka gvr4 27) but hads no idea what a gsx was. so i clicked on it read it and then asked another friend who owned a 2g and was on dsmtuners alot he said he knew what it was and it was true. it was up ther for 600 and didn't run, so i call the guy and turns out he lived in palatine! so i lined up a trailer for it bought it two days later from the guy. the motor ended up being blown when i found a rod in the oil pan so i bought another n/t motor for it threw it in and its been my daily ever since. when i bought it the car had 92k and was (still is) super clean.

then i had plans for doing a turbo swap/drivetrain and all that jazz. well one day a friend of mine told me he knew a guy selling a gvr4 for cheap. well my intentions were to buy it and swap all the parts on to the gsx ONLY because i was told the car was a rusted out pos. he gave me a number and i called the guy it was a 91 green bonestock with 172k on the clock and the guy wanted 2k for it (this one ran this time). well when i went to see it ther was no rust just a really faded paint job!! it was missing the original wheels and had 240 weels instead. fogs were gone, and it had a white hood painted some off color green... alot of other parts were rough to like seats dash and the front core support was all bent out of shape and nothing lined up... as it turns out this car was on here at one time being sold because the original owner got into a motorcycle accident and i think was paralyzed. and it was sold at that time to the guy who i bought it off of. the guy who i bought it off of was straight up polish and a good friend of adam from devotuning. over the past year and a half ive been resoring and building, motor and tran are out right now waiting for money to be built

plans for both these cars... never to sell them.

I was street racing my 92 Talon in Dallas a lot during 94-95. I remember some guy rolling in to the parking lot one night with a Belize Green 91 and rolling up a few of the faster f-bodies out there. He showed off his IC sprayer (with Scope mixed in for a minty fresh flavor) and a few other mods. His name was Jason Crum (might ring a bell for some of the real old school guys). I tried like hell to get my parents to let me trade the talon in on a used GVR4 but it was no go. It wasn't until about 3 years later that I finally decided to look for one again. 206 of 1000 showed up on the Mitsu dealers lot in late 98 and I went down and bought it when I saw it on Autotrader. Sold it 3 years later for a WRX and it is now a garage queen for another local guy. Has some really nice stuff on it, but hasn't been driven in a few years.

Maybe I'll get another one some day.

Brianawd

Quote:
img.php

Ahahaha. Thats my Girlfriend. I so forgot about that pic. Anyway got my Galant from a Friend I worked with. He was selling it because him and his wife were having there first kid and he needed the money. It was my DD for a year then I said the hell with it and cut up my Talon and turned my galant into my fun car. Before I got the galant I had always been into DSM's and had alway wanted a galant. Just never had the money to get one. I even test drove 1051 before Mark picked it up. I wanted it just could not sell my talon to get the money.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned