The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How'd you meet your Gvr4.

464/2K

heyyyyyyyyy erik owns this car now.

speedyvr4

I just posted my story in another thread so i'll just cut and paste with a little more detail here.when I bought this car I was looking for a cb7 accord to DD. I saw across the street from my folks house a green galant for sale and said, hmm galant, accord, same sh*t right? mind you I had only seen one vr4 in my lifetime and it was in mountain view. it was bone stock. so I walk across the street. As I get closer I start seeing the leather interior, then I see the badge, then I SEE THE LIGHT BADGE ON THE BACK AND I started jumping up on one leg.My dads like, WTF it's just a galant? So explained to him what a vr4 was and I showed him the old rally vids while trolling on this site.I had been into dsm's(I know gvr4 is not a dizzem) for 5 years then and I NEVER IMAGINED I would own a galant vr4. So the car was selling for 1800.I test drove it. I could tell right away the car needed TLC. I threw the guy a dsmer lowball 1200 but he didn't go for it. he said he would let it go for 1500. My wife had a kia sportage at the time which i hated and so did my dad. So he said he'd let me borrow the money to buy it and I'd pay him back when I sold the KIa. I pretended I didn't want it and told the guy I would think about it and call him back If I changed my mind. But inside, I was jumping like a little kid. 1/2 an hour later I bought it for 1500. did a few of the maintanace things. the car kicked my ass for a little more then a year with sh*t breaking down. I couldn't even save money to mod it because something would always go. Hell, it's been almost 2 years and the only real mod I've done to it is exhaust. Anyways, I still love the car even though it constanly kicks my ass. I've taken it through many roadtrips including driving it from sacramento to the bay area continously with minimal incidents. I love the fact that cops don't give you a second glance. Hopefully next year I can get her a minivan and I canuse the galant myself to DD and my talon can go more for fun.

SleepinGVR4

I went to high school with Zack Jones. And knew about his brother. Used to go over to Jones's grandparents when he worked on his car from time to time. I saw Nate Pharr's car there for the first time. And I thought to myself, these guys can't all be wrong. Nate, Josh, Zach, the Gillaspy brothers and me all went to Maple grove the one year and it was game over after that.

Found mine 2 years ago on tuners. Picked it up from a kid in Pittsburg who worked for Honda. Actually said he'd rather have a honda. ha /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

BluFalcon

Quote:
I was street racing my 92 Talon in Dallas a lot during 94-95. I remember some guy rolling in to the parking lot one night with a Belize Green 91 and rolling up a few of the faster f-bodies out there. He showed off his IC sprayer (with Scope mixed in for a minty fresh flavor) and a few other mods. His name was Jason Crum (might ring a bell for some of the real old school guys).

Jason Crum. Now there's a name from the past. He turned the green GVR-4 into his "Race Car" and bought a white one to DD. I remember seeing him out at the local street races in the white one embarassing the local V8 and Honda guys. Man, that was a while back. I kind of wanted a GVR-4 back then, but I was still in love with my Talon. Times change.

Last edited:

I saw Mike and Jenn's grey car about 3 years ago at the track.

Found one on this board and drove to Connecticut and traded cars and then drove back home.

Ate chinese food with a chinses friend I brought with me in Chinatown. I also got a belt made for me there that said GVR IV (they didnt have numbers) lol. That trip was a blast.

Mark LaVallee

I was hanging out at Shelton Mitsubishi with Cobra Chapman. Late 1990. One was parked in front of his desk. Green. Cobra was pretty ate up about the car. Fast forward to Christmas 1991. I'm a salesman at Shelton Mitsu. One is parked in front of MY desk. I was buried in my Eclipse every time a GVR4 came in on trade. Boss says "The next POS Galant that comes in is YOURS!!" For $1.06 it was. Eight years, 60K later, still running well. Only breaks cheap and in my driveway. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Hondasi88

Funny story...... I know this person is on here but anyway i was going down 495 toward va crossing the American legion bridge in my 88 honda accord hatch. This 4 door "camry" flew past me and then slowed down and just destroyed the honda.

I was mad as hell i just put all this lil stuff under the hood and it didn't work /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/frown.gif.
So a few months later i found this site and started a WTB thread. Someone responded about a black vr4 at a rally shop.......well I stopped by and the rest is history.

I was browsing the classifieds one day in June of '01, seeing if there were any good deals on DSMs, when what did I see but a listing for a '92 Galant VR-4. I'd only read about the cars, and figured with their rarity I'd never see one, but put it on my top 10 list of cars I'd like to own someday. I first called the owner just to verify that it was indeed a VR4, and he ended up telling me a bit about it and the work he'd done to it. The thought of possibly owning this way cool car enchanted me, and while on a 55 mile hike the next week all I could think about was that it would be sold by the time I got back to town. It hadn't, so I arranged to come up and see it, but the owner wasn't home so I just walked around it. Now, I had no idea what a Galant looked like, couldn't have picked it out of a lineup for a million bucks, so I had no idea what to expect. It was love at first sight with my Belize Green Beauty. I knew right then that I had to have her; my dad was not so much impressed.

The next day the July issue of SCC came in the mail, and while being enthralled in Dave Coleman's gripping account of the Ramada Express Rally, my eyes froze halfway down the results page: 10th place, Open Class, John Teeter in a Galant VR-4. Wait a minute, wasn't I just on the phone with a John Teeter about buying a GVR4? The one and the same, I couldn't have dialed any faster to go for a test drive. (I brought the magazine w/me /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif )When we pulled into his driveway this time, I saw the Green FS car in the driveway, a white '91 rally car in the garage, and the rare Kensington Grey that was John's DD off to the side. I just about shat my pants as I'd sooner have expected the pope to walk out the door than to see three GVR4s in one spot! I'd never driven a turbo or awd car before, let alone a modded one, so was very nervous as I took the keys and slid into the fine black leather. A low compression engine, heavy drive train, and most importantly the 4 puck clutch caused this poor noob to kill it 4 times before backing it out of the driveway. With John fidgeting in the front seat, my mom piped up from the back, "he really does know how to drive a stick." /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/blush.gif I could have died, lol.

The test drive was over all too quickly, but the business like layout of the interior and the way all the controls fell to hand w/out thought had sealed the deal for me. I couldn't afford the car, but managed to call in a few favors and scrape enough to make an acceptable offer, despite the many dissuasions offered to me along the way to not buy a turbo car. Thank God John realized he was handing the car over to a noob and before I got the keys he sat me down and wrote out what he'd done to the car, what it meant, and what he'd recommend working on soon. More importantly however, he gave me a page of websites including most notably this one, natch, but also vfaq.com, RRE, FP, and others. The rest, as they say, is history.

John later graciously offered me a crew position for his rally car and I got a baptism of dirt, and loved it. I was probably more of a hindrance than a help at that point, not being able to tell a torque wrench from a hole in the ground, but the early experience later allowed me to be of assistance to other rally teams.

#305 has spent way too much of her time in my custody garaged for various reasons, but she's now my DD and I'm loving/hating every minute of it. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

Terry Posten (cousin) gave me a ride in his galant. I loved it, at that time it wasnt much from stock. I wasnt attracted to the galants look, but it grew on me. I decide to go with him to a Des Moines meet back in late January early Feb I believe. I brought some cash with me, because he mentioned a galant is for sell. Andy (v8eater) let me drive his car, and I just loved it. I couldn't resist because Terry knows a lot about them and if I needed help fixing something, he is right down the road from me. I bought the car #545 and still today have it, its been modded alittle, and most of the money put into the car has been maintenance. Its coming along slowly but surely. This is the first board/website i have been on where I have made friends and there is little if no drama. I had bad exp with hondatech.com and tamparacing.com. IM very happy to have met quite a few of you. HOpe to meet more owners and make more friends.

tpr103

i had been into turbos since i bougth a conquest back in 95. i had 3 of them. in 2000 i bought a 97gst. and i was hooked on dsms. well it turned me into a expert on them!! i became friends with abunch of people into dsms. well one day one of them bougth a vr4 after riding in it i fell in love! i had a bunch of 1g's and afew 2g's but always wanted a vr4. it took me awhile to find one. i had seen this one for sale for awhile but wasn't sure about it. it was listed on here and njdsm. i called the # on nj and it was gvr4737 who had it listed for the owner. talked to him for an hour. then finally got in touch with the actual owner. turns out the car was down the road from my wifes parents house. it had a blown motor, which was out of the car and so was the trans. it was bone stock save the fart can and window squirters. the car was real clean giving its age. i bougth it for $2100. got her home and rebuilt her! newish motor from nate at dsmotorsports out of his 1g auto project. then had the tranny built by dogbox racing. i wasnt going to sell it but since the baby i want a suv. baby seat isn't going in my truck. car will most likely be for sale this fall!

Bought my 1996 Eclipse GSX new. Found out about ClubDSM in 1998. I built up my 2G to run 13s because at the time, that was considered fast. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif Eventually wanted more so I picked up a 1992 Talon TSi AWD from a lady at work and got it to run 11s. Sold that for parts and was out of the game for a couple years. Started to get the itch last year and eventually pulled the trigger and picked up quasimondo's VR4 and now here I am. Glutten for punishment once again!

Kenny_Kline

One morning, I get a phone call to pick up a mitsu galant to bring it to the junk yard to have it crushed. Just another day... tow a piece of crap to the junker. I get there and I see the galant. hmmmmm something isnt right. Why the hell does it have a VR4 badge on the back? I say to myself "YEAH RIGHT" thinking its 1. either the wrong car or 2. someone bought a VR4 badge and stuck it on there. I knew there were only 2000 of these cars made so I didnt beleive it was a VR4. For shits and giggles, I pop the hood. There she sits... a 4G63. NO f***ing WAY!!! I offer my boss $200 for the weight of the car (thats how much he would of mad of the metal weight at the junk yard) and I told him that he wont have to pay me or pay for fuel to ring this car out there. He said fine, whatever, take it. Nobody seen the car and nobody had a clue. I took that thing and now I am a proud VR4 owner. Customer gave me the title and keys and told me what was wrong with it.... just the shifter linkage is damaged. Runs, starts up, only 2 4 R gears work.

So yeah.... thats my story. Saved one from getting crushed.

Nate

First one: (Maroon Car)
It was 1992, and I was told I had to find a car, and so I started taking test drives in new cars at the time. I drove a few Sentra SE-Rs, I think I drove a Chevy Beretta GTZ, but I really wanted a Maxima. A friend and my gf at the time told me I needed to drive down to the capital an hour away where there were a ton of car dealers all in a row. We drove down, and the first dealer was Continental Mazda/Subaru, but I missed the main entrance, and had to pull into the entrace of their used car lot. I pulled in, and what is now the maroon car was sitting there. I knew what it was from the previous year's Auto Show, and drove it that day, and owned it about a week later. It's been wrecked and repaired a few times, and has gone through many "revisions" of a drivetrain, but rests comfortably in the garage under a cover to this day.

Second one: (White Car)
Harry had had me drive to Harrisburg to put a deposit on a really cheap white one that came up for sale for $1500 when they were still going for $6000+. It had 150K on it, and a dented corner of the driver's side trunk sheetmetal, but ran and was complete. Then, over New Year's that year (days later) he had me go get it and drive it home. He ended up selling most of the driveline out of it, and I was ready to get rid of my first Colt-Can, so I offered to buy the chassis for $800. He sold it to me, and I proceeded to put the goodies from my first Colt into the Galant, and made it an awesome daily driver. It served me well, I put another 110K on it, then when I wanted to get rid of it, I took the FMIC, the turbo kit, the race tranny, and the front suspension and swapped all of that stuff onto Dad's Galant. I then sold it for $5500.

Third one: (Dad's Galant)
After I'd had the first one for about a year, I noticed that my Dad and brothers kept borrowing my car when I'd come home from college. My Dad was looking for a new car at the time, but wasn't able to find any of the cars he liked with manual transmissions. (Caddy didn't offer one, and he isn't the kind of guy that would buy a BMW/Merc.) I asked if he would buy a GVR4 if I could find him one. He told me to find one, so two days later I drove down and found a green 1992 with 21000 miles on it. He bought it, and drove it from 1993 until last year, when he decided that it had developed too many quirks for him, and he decided to give it to me. I brought it home, rebuilt the engine, swapped on the full HKS turbo kit, and right now it's receiving a 4bolt rear, 5lug swap, and I have to yank the leaky rear PS lines. Are these projects ever really finished?

Nate

Posted my gas guzzling 1991 Eddie Bauer Bronco On Craigslist for sale/trade about mid June 2007. Guy offered #711/2000 to me even trade. After some info on the GVR4's from the internet, met up with the guy did some test driving fell in love with the power and smoothness of the ride. from then on she's been my baby.

Traded darkphoenix for my 2000 galant es. Saw the car up at a mini meet and loved it. Then when he put it for sale I offered the trade for it.

strokin4dr

Quote:
Posted my gas guzzling 1991 Eddie Bauer Bronco On Craigslist for sale/trade about mid June 2007. Guy offered #711/2000 to me even trade. After some info on the GVR4's from the internet, met up with the guy did some test driving fell in love with the power and smoothness of the ride. from then on she's been my baby.

That's pretty crazy.

We found #78 just by throwin gvr4 for sale into google. It was on a local message board in CT. I had to jump quick on it due to the fact he had 2 other people that wanted it and actually they were on here.I ended up getting in touch with the owner and headed out to UCONN to check it out. The owner just drove it up and the street to school and back since he only lived about 3mins away from uconn.. 78 did have its issues, really bad spuder down low and went away on the top end etc. Come to find out we pulled the head and she had a bad valve... out with the old and in with the new.. now she has a jdm 6bolt, and shep stg1 trans. My brother and I have owned her for 2 years and still not back on the road... but she is close! But he was only the 2nd owner and bought it from the org. who was a olllder laddy that was allways kept in the garage in upstate NY were he drove up to get it.

TWEAKD4

Quote:
First one: (Maroon Car)
It was 1992, and I was told I had to find a car, and so I started taking test drives in new cars at the time. I drove a few Sentra SE-Rs, I think I drove a Chevy Beretta GTZ, but I really wanted a Maxima. A friend and my gf at the time told me I needed to drive down to the capital an hour away where there were a ton of car dealers all in a row. We drove down, and the first dealer was Continental Mazda/Subaru, but I missed the main entrance, and had to pull into the entrace of their used car lot. I pulled in, and what is now the maroon car was sitting there. I knew what it was from the previous year's Auto Show, and drove it that day, and owned it about a week later. It's been wrecked and repaired a few times, and has gone through many "revisions" of a drivetrain, but rests comfortably in the garage under a cover to this day.

Second one: (White Car)
Harry had had me drive to Harrisburg to put a deposit on a really cheap white one that came up for sale for $1500 when they were still going for $6000+. It had 150K on it, and a dented corner of the driver's side trunk sheetmetal, but ran and was complete. Then, over New Year's that year (days later) he had me go get it and drive it home. He ended up selling most of the driveline out of it, and I was ready to get rid of my first Colt-Can, so I offered to buy the chassis for $800. He sold it to me, and I proceeded to put the goodies from my first Colt into the Galant, and made it an awesome daily driver. It served me well, I put another 110K on it, then when I wanted to get rid of it, I took the FMIC, the turbo kit, the race tranny, and the front suspension and swapped all of that stuff onto Dad's Galant. I then sold it for $5500.

Third one: (Dad's Galant)
After I'd had the first one for about a year, I noticed that my Dad and brothers kept borrowing my car when I'd come home from college. My Dad was looking for a new car at the time, but wasn't able to find any of the cars he liked with manual transmissions. (Caddy didn't offer one, and he isn't the kind of guy that would buy a BMW/Merc.) I asked if he would buy a GVR4 if I could find him one. He told me to find one, so two days later I drove down and found a green 1992 with 21000 miles on it. He bought it, and drove it from 1993 until last year, when he decided that it had developed too many quirks for him, and he decided to give it to me. I brought it home, rebuilt the engine, swapped on the full HKS turbo kit, and right now it's receiving a 4bolt rear, 5lug swap, and I have to yank the leaky rear PS lines. Are these projects ever really finished?

Nate

Nate I am glad after all of these years you still have a love for these cars. I have been around the DSM scene since 95 and see many once diehards hang up the towel for something else. I know these cars are frustrating but they are so much fun when things are going right.

89coltgt

These stories are great. I actually ran across a local guy selling parts off of 1273 on ebay, and contacted him for some parts for the colt. Arrived at his house, bought the parts from him and showed a little interest in the rest of the car, a few weeks later, he emailed me and gave me a price. Needless to say, I picked her up.
I then decided to post it up a few months later as I didn't have time to get it put back together, sold the car to Geoff(Mr Hyde). He then put it together, only to be lacking a few things and lost interested. Then I traded him 1273 back for my 92 talon and put it all back together.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned