The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Holset Hx35 on GVR4

Specter

Any one running Holset HX35 on their gvr's? I would like to see some pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!

Hksvr4

I had a straight HX35/bulleyes housing and it had good spool and power. I sold the car before I was able to dyno or track it back in 07. Not sure how reliable it was either.

Hksvr4

If I can remember, full boost at 4k rpm 25psi. Ross/eagle/FP2 camps, ported head, magnus intake,

Last edited:

onesickcrx

I had a HX40 on 774 and it spooled way way to slow for me. It wasn't till 4500 rpm it hit 20psi of boost in 3rd gear pulls. Maybe the hx35 is a lot better I sure hope so...

Hksvr4

Quote:
I had a HX40 on 774 and it spooled way way to slow for me. It wasn't till 4500 rpm it hit 20psi of boost in 3rd gear pulls. Maybe the hx35 is a lot better I sure hope so...

That car (which was mine) had a HX35. The HX40 was installed by the owner who sold it to you. So there you have it a hx35 comprasion to a hx40 with the same set up.

Hksvr4

Quote:
Is there any room for a slim fan with an HX in the GVR-4?

There should be but the plastic might melt. I put a push type on the other side.

Tre3zy

i think thats a 2g or maybe an evo3 exhaust mani...

alansupra94

I wonder how my VGT Holset well fare....it flows between a HX35 and HX40 but spools much quicker with its vanes.....

DynastyLCD

Alan, did you find a foolproof way to control the vanes properly? very interested for results with your setup!

alansupra94

Someone was working on finding a way to control the on-board computer but many people have had great results with the regular wastegate method. I wasn't 100% sure what I would have been going with but I am thinking of implementing a way to let AEM EMS control it.

EDIT: Looks like the guy built some kind of standalone unit here:

click

Last edited:

desant78

^good read. here is another standalone some guy made on t00ners

developmental VGT Controller

This guy is a software R & D fellow so he has some resources. Check the videos. He's gotten pretty damn far, but lately there has not been much project. One day when I'm bored, and have a few more working cars I hope to tackle this similiar to the t00ners guy using a standalone controller along with some sort of tuning program (DSMlink or AEM EMS). That way you can have all the inputs you want. Sorry to side track this thread. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this alansupra, as I did a ton of initial research but never followed up on actually attempting this. There is a thread on here with a good discussion going.

boostin4door

Been rocking a BEP hx35 since March 05' and love it!! Prob one of the first in Chicagoland to use it.
The turbo has been reiable for me. Had it rebuilt only twice in 7 yrs, [once on GP for when my oil filter spun off during a highway race and metal ran through it.And the other time for alittle shaft 'play'/scored bearing],Both times basic rebuilt by Jeff @ TurboAuto in Nashville,TN.
Curtis ported it and welded an alum elbow on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Turbo hits full boost @ 4k rpm, stock bore,w/272's, JMF Race smim,63mmTB,Wiseco's/Scat Rods,stock head,etc,etc...
I'm only running 20psi[baby boost LOL] on pump gas & Im happy with the setup!

pics from 12/11;
IMAG0584.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

ryansenginebaypic.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned