The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

High idle after changing spark plugs

SiennaLover69

I just changed out my spark plugs and noticed now that my car is idling high, at like 3000 rpm. I've looked around and haven't found much about it (so im guessing this is probably a dumb question but I just want to be sure before I drive it around a bunch lol).
Is it just idling high because I reset the ecu and will it even out after driving a bit? Is it because the spark plugs gaps are different this time (I gapped them to .030, I dont remember what they were before)?
Also I noticed a bit of what looked like oil in one of the spark plug wells (the first one on the far left of the engine).
it is just idling high and staying consistent at 3000 rpm, its not sputtering or surging.
Thanks for any help!

thomcasey

Did you maybe knock off a vacuum line? Sounds like a vacuum leak

holeshotmoe

Mine will do that if I accidentally knock the idle stop switch wire off.

SiennaLover69

No vacuum hoses knocked up, but here is the idle stop switch (i assume this is it lol), but the wire had actually been knocked off for a while, here are a couple pics of it.

Last edited:

prove_it

Your fine, but with a 3k idle it's gonna be interesting.

prove_it

Check the throttle cable, make sure the throttle isn't getting stuck open, you might have moved the cable and got it stuck.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Can you elaborate on why the throttle cable was stuck?

We don't want to see you accelerating when you don't intend to.

SiennaLover69

My issue turned out to be that the bolts holding down the throttle cable were loose and I guess at some point I somehow moved the throttle cable a bit. I just adjusted it back to where it should be and it was good!

And thanks for the tip on the gap, I honestly wasn't sure what to gap them at so I just when to .030. Just curious but any particular reason why .028 would be best? I'm not quite auto savvy yet lol

prove_it

Boosted cars need a tighter gap to prevent "blow-out". Basically the cylinder pressure rise too high and the spark can't fire/fires but goes out and you have a misfire.

Bone stock cars work with .028, more power then going down to .022 or so helps. Also the spark will be hotter and ignite better with a tight gap, too tight though and not enough fuel molecules can ignite properly.

MellowVR4

I need to get mines a tad tighter then... Got my 60 trim at 21psi with .28 on my 7's...

prove_it

However, E85, race fuel, and ignition system type vary the specs... So there is no perfect car, at least not a universal gap to use that works on all cars. Just guidelines and starting points.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned