The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

idle issues

cooliomo

alright i have a 92 galant its bone stock. my situation is that when i drive my car hard or long trips i turn it off, and turn it on it idles like at 400-500 rpm until i blip the throttle. ive done most of the maint spark plugs, wires, air filter.(not the fuel filter will do soon). but any idea what it could be?

my car does the same thing. it doesnt bother me though because im one of the few local 4g owners that has a car that idles under 1k rpm. have you tried adjusting your biss screw?

Brunoboy

mine does it too, but maybe its because i dont have the FPR Solenoid anymore. I heard something about it bumping fuel pressure when its hot or something.
-shane

Yes, that's the first thing to check. The ECU closes the FPR solenoid for the first 3 minutes after a hot start, to help with vapor lock/fuel percolation issues. Even with the solenoid working you may have issues. Our cars run extremely hot under the hood, and when you stop moving all the heat really soaks everything in there.

cooliomo

hhmm ok well there has been times when is cold and i need to be somewhere and the car hesitates and buck only at a certain rpm 2000-3000, i did replace my biss screw with a new one from the dealer, i believe that i set it a the right idle rpm about 750, but when there is a load like lights heater defogger, it idles at 600 the car shakes, but when i drive it for a few minutes and come to a stop light the car idles fine???

DR1665

Quoting keydiver:
Yes, that's the first thing to check. The ECU closes the FPR solenoid for the first 3 minutes after a hot start, to help with vapor lock/fuel percolation issues. Even with the solenoid working you may have issues. Our cars run extremely hot under the hood, and when you stop moving all the heat really soaks everything in there.

So what's the remedy for this issue, if any? I've got a good IAC and the BISS is set fine. For the most part, the car idles at 800rpm like a rock, but shut it off in a parking lot, come back out five, ten minutes later, and the idle drops to 500 or less and, in some instances, dies. Really annoying.

Could the FPR solenoid be opened up or eliminated? Pros and cons to elimination if even possible.

I'd been thinking about posting this very question recently, but was going to do some research first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raptorWagon

If I recall, the fpr solenoid can be eliminated with no ill effects other than the occasional extra crank on a hot start. I know I researched it when I was deleting all the unnecessary vac lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

i blame fiav for that! i had the same problem till i blocked my fiav then it idleed like a champ at 800!

cooliomo

Quoting DR1665:
Quoting keydiver:

So what's the remedy for this issue, if any? I've got a good IAC and the BISS is set fine. For the most part, the car idles at 800rpm like a rock, but shut it off in a parking lot, come back out five, ten minutes later, and the idle drops to 500 or less and, in some instances, dies. Really annoying.

Could the FPR solenoid be opened up or eliminated? Pros and cons to elimination if even possible.

I'd been thinking about posting this very question recently, but was going to do some research first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ya thats dead on lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts