The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help buying turbo rebuild kit

AnotherNewb

Be sure to pull your turbo off and split the hotside of it off, if your turbine wheel has damage that kit will not fix it for you, I found replacment shafts and turbine wheel on DSM tuners for 55.00, cheaper than anyone out there. Be very leary of EBAY stuff and only order proven parts and not just the cheapest stuff available.

AnotherNewb

In a lot of cases it makes more sense to replace the turbo. an EVO 16g is a good upgrade and can be had for cheap sometimes. Throw up a WTB add asking for a replacement turbo, these guys are great at taking care of members. I know someone that picked up a NEW 14b from a member here for like $250. Be weary of ebay turbos, got screwed on one on there and most of them come from china.

raptorWagon

Buying a 14b used in good shape will only cost around 75-150 at the most. Generally, picking up either a new or in good shape used 14b/16g is more cost effective than rebuilding one, especially if the shaft, compressor wheel, turbine wheel, and CHRA are toast.

ok 91vr4934 offered me a ebay brand evo 16g turbo for 150 bucks should i buy this.

AnotherNewb

Big Negative on an EBAY brand turbo unless it is a true MHI or from a reputable manufacturer

H05TYL

Quoting 91vr4394:
u cant just tear a turbo apart and fix it..u have to have everything balanced..

If you index the shaft/nut and compressor before dis-assembly and align them correctly when you re-assemble you don't need to have the assembly re-balanced.

Have done this myself several years ago and the turbo is still going strong. Of course if you need to replace the comp wheel, or turbine wheel and shaft, or if you forget to index them before dis-assembly then yes you will need to get it balanced again.

+1 to just marking or indexing it upon disassembly. Replace with new parts and your good. If you like to replace turbos, then buy the eBay off your buddy, because odds are you'll be replacing that turd in about a month. Start with the WTB thread and go from there. Like Anothernewb stated, people here are good about taking care of respectfull members. Unless your wanting to keep your car fairly stock and keep your 14b, nows the time to upgrade to a 16g with supporting mods.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned