The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Heater fan weirdness

quato

So I don't know if this is a "feature" or not but it's really weird. When it's cold out and my car is cold, my blower won't turn on until the coolant temp gauge starts to read that the engine is starting to get warm. I can fiddle with the fan speed knob all I want and select all the different fan options (head, foot, defrost, etc...) and it won't do anything until it warms up a bit. When everything is warm I can turn everything on with no problems.

I don't know, this is just a weird issue that I've never run into before.

Last edited:

GVR47111K

Me too.

5OF2k

Mine doesnt do that.... You guys both have 92s though....maybe that has something to do with it?

quato

my evo 4 did something similar but it had a climate control. anyone have a 92 that does this?

Last edited:

rdomeck

I have a 92 and I can turn the fan on whenever.....

James

I'd take a stab at the wiring.

quato

yeah but i hate troubleshooting wiring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif i'll pretend it's a feature for a while until it bugs me too much or just doesn't come on at all lol

i'll have to take the dash apart when i do the manual seatbelt swap so i'll mess with it then. thanks for everybodies input!

Last edited:

G

Staff member
It's probably just the motor, spray some wd40 in the motor area. That should fix it. Their probably is corrosion inside.

BpuVR4

was gonna post a thread, but found this one. anyone figure out an answer to this phenomenon? I thought it was a feature too...my fan won't turn on til its warmed up so it never blows cold air when I want heat. I too pray that it's a function of say the ETACS?

turbowop

The car isn't setup like that. It has no idea if the temp selector is on hot or cold, so it's not going to keep the fan from blowing due to the coolant temps being low. Maybe in a car with climate control, but not our USDM cars anyway.

GVR47111K

Pretty sure this problem escalated to no heat at all for me. I think the heater core went out. Lemme know if your guys heaters crap out too.

blacksheep

Yeah, none of my gvr4's ever did this. It will blow cold till heat kicks in...sounds like cooling system issue...heater core, blower motor,etc

BpuVR4

Quoting GVR47111K:
Pretty sure this problem escalated to no heat at all for me. I think the heater core went out. Lemme know if your guys heaters crap out too.

umm im gonna hope really hard its the blower motor over heater core

turbofonz

Try swapping the blower motor relay with on that you know that works.

GVR47111K

I hope so as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Gotta find one first.

G

Staff member
It's really easy to know if it's the motor just spray some wd40 down in to the motor, where the armature and coil are. I guarantee you it's corrosion inside there.

BpuVR4

gonna get off my butt and look into this tomm. I read another thread similar to this one, and one poster said that if the blower motor will work at various times (speed not and issue) it is probably the relay. is there another relay elsewhere i can swap just to troubleshoot real quick to see if the heater relay is bad?

also, im hearing it's pretty easy to drop the blower motor to clean it out and what not...am I missing something? I took a peek under the glovebox and it didnt seem like a straight deal. can anyone tell me if it's a straight removal or do i have to move other crap over?

thanks, it's getting cold.

BpuVR4

may as well link the other thread for those w same problems. i just suck w electrical gremlins.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned