The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Harness Mounting: C-Pillar or Harness Bar?

JSchleim18

Which would you go with...safety being the bigger concern over looks.

I would be using Schroth ASM harnesses.

The Rallye 3 has a buckle so you can detach it for rear passenger access.

The Rallye Cross is a wrap style that can be used around the harness bar.

The Harness bar and harness combo looks really nice but how strong is the B-pillar in an accident? I'm talking about a head-on incident into the wall or something like that. It shouldn't bend I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks

turbowop

I have mine wrapped around the harness bar at the moment but plan to attach them to the rear seat belt locations with the harness bar there to keep the angle of the harnesses over the shoulders properly. I just feel more comfortable with them like that, and having passengers in the back with the bar there is frowned upon anyway, so it's not like I'm losing seats.

JSchleim18

Where are you planning to mount them? the C-pillar location (the rear shoulder belt mounting locations)? That's where I plan to have mine mounted into because:

1. factory mounting points for a seat belt is the safest without modification.
2. Seat belt can be un-buckled and out of the way of passengers.
3. Optimal mounting point for a harness that uses one rear mounting location.
4. DOT legal (when used with Schroth ASM technology harnesses)

So I guess I figured it out. C-pillar for safety and legality.

Harness bar for giving your rear passengers a roller coaster-like experience. Also, the make their skull all mushy in case of a severe accident. Oh, and the looks.

turbowop

I will use the lap belt locations. Between the seat back and the seat bottom. The bolt holes for the eye-bolts are centered pretty well behind the driver and passenger seats. I had them ran back there before I ever had the harness bar.

JSchleim18

Gotcha. Yeah they don't really recommend that location because of the angle but you have that figured out by using the harness bar to create the necessary angle.

curtis

Jeremy if you watch ebay really close you can find the schroth inertia reel harnesses. For FAA/PMA certification they have to be changed every 2 years and go by the date on the tag. I picked mine up for 300 for both and the guy said they were only used a few times. I think he was pissed he had only one bid. At the time I found them on a German aircraft supplier site for just under 2K for the set I believe. They have manual lock out levers and have the cam unlock wheel not a factory car style button. From what I've seen over the years most aircraft guys list them under aerobatic harness and thats it. No Schroth rally SCCA or other keywords. Only other keywords I've ever seen is cub citabria RV4 RV6 Pitts Stearman experimental. Most airplane guys are like us and like keeping the parts where they belong with other people with the same hobby passion

Like these. these are scientific atlantic and the same belts found in an Apache or a Blackhawk. Government probably paid 6K for this set.

click me

Or these schroth inertia reels but not with lockout controls either way fricking cheap especially for 2. click me

Your welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

number3

click

See photo in the middle of the thread.

JSchleim18

Quoting curtis:
Jeremy if you watch ebay really close you can find the schroth inertia reel harnesses.

Your welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Curtis oh great one,

I actually have the Schroth Rallye 3 non-inertia harness for the passenger side.

For the driver's side, I got myself the Schroth Autocontrol Harness (inertia reel and all) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned