The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 RS Maf Sensor type?

SSGdave

Ok I recently finished 95% of 1855/2000's rebuild. She is a daly driver and mildly moded. I was hoping to get 240hp out of her, but I noticed that the GVR4 RS "yellow 510cc injectors / s16G" makes 240hp, stock (so I've read anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

I have a set of 510cc injectors and was thinking about an EPROM chip to compensate for them. But I'm wondering, "What Maf sensor is the GVR4 RS using from the factory???"

Anyone have any info for meeeee?

fuel

Well a "Galant VR-4 RS" could be either 87-90 pre-Evolution which uses the same AFM as the USDM Galant VR-4/1G T/E/L or it would be mid-90 onward Evolution which uses the MD171249 AFM which I'm pretty sure no other model uses. What the difference between an Evolution and non-Evolution MAF is, I don't know.

Also the Evolution with the 510cc injectors uses a big 16G not a small 16G turbo.

Last edited:

RedTwo

The second AFM is found on any JDM VR4 made in the same time period, same with the ECU. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Also keep in mind that those are metric horsepowers at the flywheel - it's around 180 hp at the wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fuel

Yeah well all 5MT JDM Galants from mid 1990 onwards were Evolution spec, but the auto and USDM/AUDM VR-4s were still using the non-Evolution AFM/450cc injectors. The USDM/AUDM had an ECU more similar to the 89.10 to 90.05 JDM 5MT models but still didn't share the same part numbers.

CutlassJim

Quoting SSGdave:
Ok I recently finished 95% of 1855/2000's rebuild. She is a daly driver and mildly moded. I was hoping to get 240hp out of her, but I noticed that the GVR4 RS "yellow 510cc injectors / s16G" makes 240hp, stock (so I've read anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

I have a set of 510cc injectors and was thinking about an EPROM chip to compensate for them. But I'm wondering, "What Maf sensor is the GVR4 RS using from the factory???"

Anyone have any info for meeeee?

The different injector size is probably just compensated in the ECU and it still has the shitball metal 1G MAF. Maybe trade for some 560's and just run a 2G MAF?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned