The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gutting Instrument Panel, Keeping ODO

DR1665

I'm toying with the idea of gutting the gauge cluster because race car. I'd like to replace the tach, add a gear indicator and digital speedo, as well as boost, oil temp/press, coolant temp, and an hour meter.

I want to keep the odo to avoid DMV, insurance hassles. Looking at some old posts (I'm in a meeting at work right now), it looks like it might be electric. Is there a circuit I need to preserve or is it a cut-and-dry gear-driven unit off the speedo cable?

TIA. How to as I build it.

DR1665

Thanks for the info and feedback. Good to know it's geared.

@Sean - a couple reasons why I'm passing on the Stack setup:

A) $2000+
B) I'd rather have multiple gauges I can position so optimal reading is at 12 o'clock. Easier to read when it counts.

Figure I could make the gear indicator and speedo, and I could sell the NIB Defi boost/egt/fuel press gauges I've got collecting dust in the garage to fund less exotic units for the rest.

I'll try to Photoshop up my vision this weekend. Thanks again, gents.

curtis

Whats controlling the car.. because don't want you to forget the reed switch. Also make sure you get the correct fuel level gauge

DR1665

Reed switch?

Not sure if I'll be running Jackal/Ostrich on an EPROM or going Evo 8 ECU.

Fuel gauge is all but worthless on these cars. Figure I'll re-route the low fuel light and adjust the resistor or whatever on the pump assy to give a more legitimate low fuel indication (currently, comes on just under the halfway mark).

Thanks, sir.

EgonOlsen

Quoting DR1665:
Quick 'chop.

I like that custom look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif How hard was that to make?

strokin4dr

^How hard will it be to make?? It's currently just a photo chop.

I like it, but keeping the reed switch would be something to worry if I were to do something like this as Curtis mentioned.

DR1665

Yay. Search still works. Not sure how concerned I'd be with the reed switch for the speedo, if I could just go digital straight off the gearbox.

img.php

That's a $30 Brantz BR3 speed sensor for rally tripmeters (for most Japanese vehicles with a mechanical speedo cable). Basically, you disconnect the speedo cable from the gearbox, thread this in, then thread the OE cable into it. Why not just get two of these, thread them into each other, and run digital to the cluster and tripmeter?

Also worth mentioning, this car will see relatively little time on the road when not headed directly to/from events. Not like a speedometer is really that important. (I want digital because it's smaller, and easier to read on in-car footage one day.)

Thanks for the feedback.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned