The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GM Synchromesh

Dan D

FWIW, I used Pennzoil syncromesh from 113K miles to 191K miles in my tranny. At 113K I was having some shift problems. I adjusted cables and then switched fluids - the problem went away. The problem stayed gone and there was no excessive wear reported when I sent it to Jack's for an upgrade/rebuild at 191K miles. The car probably never made more than 300WHP during that time with most of those miles being lightly modded and below 300HP. I did notice more brass and silver color metal during fluid changes which I did every 15-20K miles.

I don't use it now because with double syncros and all fresh everything else, redline MT-90 alone seems to work fine.

Not saying it's right or wrong to use, just sharing my first hand experience.

DynastyLCD

Quoting iceman69510:
I am willing to spend a bit more, but have to laugh at Phil's comment on using whatever cheap stuff he can get. I try not to take my trans out too often, but you know how it goes...

i'm glad someone could get a good laugh out of that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ktmrider

Quoting DynastyLCD:
wait, wait, wait.... i've got a question here. if GL-5 destroys synchros, why are people using Diaqueen? isn't that GL-5?

Diaqueen comes in both GL4 and GL5.

Correction to my original post info here: click

Quote, "Diaqueen is recommended for 5-speed Evos, and is required in the 6-speed manual Evo MR. Diaqueen Transmission Oil and Diaqueen LSD Oil are not the same thing and are not interchangeable."

Last edited:

prove_it

I use the tears from sweatshop children.

theevozero

GM Synchromesh should stay in GM vehicles. Its too thin for dsm trans.

click

Last edited:

MellowVR4

I used royal purple synchromesh on my first galant vr4 that I owned, When i drained it almost nothing came out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. I was shocked, im not saying nothing came out, but defently the amount that i put in was not the amount that came out. Thats why when this guy told to run gm synchromesh, i kinda scratched my head and didnt really agree with him.

theevozero

Well, the fact that your transmission was low, doesn't really reflect the quality of oil you had in there. That just means you had a leak. Your transmission should be able to hold all oils, even thin oil.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

royal purple isnt thin, its actually the proper weight. when i cant get redline i use this stuff.

edit: mind you, you have to look for the GL-4 stuff, but it is 75w/90

Last edited:

EMX5636

I ran BG Synchroshift in my GVR4 and my old Eclipse for probably 40k miles between the two. Both over 400whp (mid 400's probably). I used to change it out around 10k miles because it gets a little thinner with age.

I now swapped to Motul 75/85w140 in the dogbox. PPG and PAR recommend it because it's safe for the 5th gear syncro, has excellent cushioning, and allows fast shifting even with brass rings installed. It ain't cheap though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

transparentdsm

in all fairness your dogbox is a totally different animal. it really doesnt compair, unless mellow isnt telling us something and he has a dogbox...

EMX5636

It's true that the dogbox is a different setup, but this fluid is meant for syncro transmissions as well. It's like a cross between a heavier GL-5 75W140 without the brass harming additives and it's slippery like a quick shifting GL-4 fluid.

5OF2k

Not 100% if this link has already been posted here in this thread(it might have), but THIS is all you need to know regarding fluids and our cars' drivelines: click

/thread.

-Jake

P.S. I beat the everloving sh*t out of my unknown mileage '90 DSM trans on MT-90, and it takes it like a champ.

Last edited:

EMX5636

Quoting transparentdsm:
well then, that stuff sounds pretty good, is it more expensive then redline? do you have to order it?

I ordered mine from JNZ Tuning. They got it in a day. I think it was around $20 per QT.

DSSA

Quoting 5OF2k:
Not 100% if this link has already been posted here in this thread(it might have), but THIS is all you need to know regarding fluids and our cars' drivelines: click

/thread.

-Jake

P.S. I beat the everloving sh*t out of my unknown mileage '90 DSM trans on MT-90, and it takes it like a champ.

Christ. Don't get me started on this guy.

His newest claim to god-like knowledge is that everyone should leave their balance shafts in their cars or risk catastrophic failure due to torsional whip.

I think it's about twice a year there's something being posted by him about how he's discovered something that no one else has ever realized, and how everyone has been doing it wrong for the last 20+ years.

/rant

4dr_vr4

I use Synchromesh on my 1g DSM AWD beater. It is not making alot of power and less drag equals more mpg and power. I am happy with it.

5OF2k

Quoting DSSA:
Quoting 5OF2k:

/thread.

-Jake

Christ. Don't get me started on this guy.

His newest claim to god-like knowledge is that everyone should leave their balance shafts in their cars or risk catastrophic failure due to torsional whip.

I think it's about twice a year there's something being posted by him about how he's discovered something that no one else has ever realized, and how everyone has been doing it wrong for the last 20+ years.

/rant

By all means, start away! BUT, do it on thier website, in the "contact us" section rather than on a website he never frequents....

I do find it amusing that you have an issue with his findings/fixes/whatever even though they're all well documented and he has an extensive worldwide customer base, based on HIS services, HIS fixes, and HIS builds...

Call me crazy, but Im fairly certain that'd make his findings and publishings credible. Then again, who am I to bring facts to the table....?

-Jake

ktmrider

^^ Jake, not trying to be an azz but you're bringing HIS facts to the table not yours.

Jack has done some great work no doubt "however" I've also heard of a few things that make some scratch their head in confusion.

5OF2k

Where in that post did I claim those to be MY facts??

-Jake

DSSA

Quoting 5OF2k:

By all means, start away! BUT, do it on thier website, in the "contact us" section rather than on a website he never frequents....

For what end? No, I'd prefer to address it when someone posts it on a forum as the "end all" fact sheet. Otherwise, I couldn't care less about his list of claims he puts on his website.

Quoting 5OF2k:

I do find it amusing that you have an issue with his findings/fixes/whatever even though they're all well documented and he has an extensive worldwide customer base, based on HIS services, HIS fixes, and HIS builds...

Call me crazy, but Im fairly certain that'd make his findings and publishings credible. Then again, who am I to bring facts to the table....?

-Jake

Well, when I can make the same sort of claim to back up my statements, I'll be sure to let you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned